Camper stranded at Carcassonne airport during lockdown

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

wendyfewtrell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Camper stranded at Carcassonne airport during lockdown

Post by wendyfewtrell »

Hello All,
I am a new member here although I have used the excellent P-O life information on many occasions!
We have a house in Collioure which I come over to in the 'winter/spring' months, usually from October until the end of April with trips back to the UK at Christmas and for two work meetings in early and late March.
However, this year, with the COVID 19 crisis, things have been somewhat different. I returned back to the UK via Ryanair from Carcassonne on the 06/03 for my usual work commitment, intending to return after a week.
This, of course, has been impossible with the travel restrictions in place.
So my dilemma is my camper is sitting in Carcassonne airport car park possibly racking up an astronomical fee (unless the authorities are willing to waiver the fee under the circumstances, which I hope they will be!) There must be more folk who are also in the same position....!? I have tried, without success of a reply, to contact the airport. I have a feeling it may be closed.
So my question is, 1. Does anybody know of a person I can contact concerning this problem?
2. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on the matter...
Here's hoping.
Wendy
Ted & Jemima
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Camper stranded at Carcassonne airport during lockdown

Post by Ted & Jemima »

Hi Wendy

We have probably seen your camper when we drive past the airport, which we can confirm is closed.

There is a contact email address on a page that the airport displays concerning the confinement: https://www.aeroport-carcassonne.com/co ... rdre.html . Sorry if you have tried this already.

There is a different (regional) email address on this page: http://www.aeroport-carcassonne.com/avi ... rivee.html . Although it's not specifically about parking, it might be worth a try as the airport is part of this publicly owned group. The airport web site is not, erm, informative & continued to show scheduled flights in/out for a while even after Ryanair had cancelled them all. (Another worry is whether the airport will reopen to passengers post-confinement if Ryanair axe the route as part of inevitable cutbacks to air travel & airlines going bust.)

We have seen the same issue at Toulouse airport where there a few lone vehicles left in the long-term outdoor car parks. Hope you can find out what you need as we all have enough day-today worries at present without this as well.

Yours,
Ted & Jemima
wendyfewtrell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wendyfewtrell »

Many thanks Ted and Jemima,
I will e-mail both links you suggest and see what happens....!
I understand completely what you are saying about the possibility of Ryanair pulling out after this crisis....who knows what will happen....!
We do have another, (very small) vehicle here in Cambridge which we will use, if necessary, to rescue our camper, if needs be, when the we get the go ahead to travel.....

Thank you again for your help and fingers crossed this difficult time will soon be over.
Keep well and very best wishes,
Wendy
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Do a search for Dimitri on this forum. He worked for Perpignan airport and I think now works for Carcassonne airport. Good luck
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

The Dimitri referred to is Dimitri Sindres but he no longer works for Carcassonne Airport.
He is however a helpful guy and speaks good English and it may be worth asking him as a favour if he knows who to contact.

He is on Facebook and LinkedIn so could be contacted on either.
wendyfewtrell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wendyfewtrell »

Brilliant, many thanks both!
Wendy
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

If your French is up to it, or you know someone who can help, you might try phoning the Police Municipal. If anybody knows what to do they will.

Merisin
wendyfewtrell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wendyfewtrell »

Many thanks....I have had a prompt reply from the airport this time....they are passing it on to customer services....so, fingers crossed, something will happen....!
I will certainly think about your suggestion if I hear nothing!
Best regards,
Wendy
wendyfewtrell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wendyfewtrell »

Hello,
Just a quick update and sorry its taken so long to get around to posting....
Such a busy life we lead in lockdown....!!!!

I had a very helpful and reassuring reply from Philippe Herbert, Operations Manager at Carcassonne airport.
Basically, they will waiver all car parking costs which was great to hear!
I just hope I can get her started when the time comes...

Many thanks all for your advice and suggestions....lets hope it's not too long before I am allowed to travel again from the UK.....
Thanks again,
Wendy