Updated Forum Now On Line. Give it a go...

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Updated Forum Now On Line. Give it a go...

Post by martyn94 »

Madeleine wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 22:04 One small point. The site used to say whether you actually had any (unread) private messages, and if so how many. It was quite useful: considering how much flak I have sometimes attracted on the forum, I used to expect lots more as PMs. But in the event I have almost never had them. But I have had the odd pleasant PM, which I would often have missed had I not been reminded to look once every few weeks.

But maybe all will come good when the footprint shrinks a bit. I wait and hope: I wouldn’t know how to clear the caches on my iPad to save my life (except that if I did actually have to save my life, I would probably be able to find out, given time and an internet connection: it would make a good end to one of those films where Tom Cruise or someone saves us all from Kingdom Come with 00.1 seconds left on the timer of the anthrax bomb).
You should receive a notification if there are any unread PMs. The notification panel is on the right of the Quick Links navbar.
[/quote]

The virtue of the old system is that it just told you if you had any new PMs on the page I first hit. I don’t see myself checking the ““Quick Links” navbar” every time I visit (or ever at all), even if I could translate it into English. Two key-strokes rather than none is a deal-breaker for me when they will aImost always come up with nothing. I will rarely if ever mind if I miss a PM, but the person who wrote it might.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

One other question. Has anything happened to improve the Search function (particularly as regards posts predating the update)? The only times I’ve tried it, it was pretty much a lemon. This is not meant to be a criticism: it would just be worth knowing whether it’s worth bothering with any more than it has been in the past.
Madeleine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Madeleine »

martyn94 wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 17:55 The virtue of the old system is that it just told you if you had any new PMs on the page I first hit. I don’t see myself checking the ““Quick Links” navbar” every time I visit (or ever at all), even if I could translate it into English. Two key-strokes rather than none is a deal-breaker for me when they will aImost always come up with nothing. I will rarely if ever mind if I miss a PM, but the person who wrote it might.
Hi Martin,
It should just show that you have a notification at the top of your screen when you log in, unless your settings are not right. They could have got scrambled in the conversion. They should look like this:
notification settings.jpg
Regards,
Madeleine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Madeleine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Madeleine »

Don't know about the search settings. I've just used the standard ones in the package but they may well have improved as we're now on version 3.2.3 of the software and the old one was 2.0 which was obsolete over 10 years ago. :lol:
PatrickF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PatrickF »

Yipee, back in and enjoying the forum. 8)
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Has anything happened to improve the Search function (particularly as regards posts predating the update)?
Remembering the problem before the update, when much historical data seemed to have been lost, I decided to try a few searches. It's certainly accessing posts made way back in time - scary to see posts I'd written well over 10 years ago! Where has all that time gone?
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Works fine for me. Functionality unimpaired from my perspective. Display OK on my laptop (Windows 10) and classic PC (Ubuntu) with 1680 x 1050 monitor.

Gus