The forum thinks that it’s still on winter time

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

The forum thinks that it’s still on winter time

Post by martyn94 »

.... no wonder the search doesn’t work worth a damn.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

It’s 15 years old and will cost me 1000 euros to update. Cut it some slack. It’s an old dog who doesn’t want to learn any new tricks!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Give it a pat from me. No doubt there’s someone here who could tell you how to re-do it in Linux for €3.50.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

If there is, please step forward. I sometimes think it must be hanging on by the skin of its teeth. :cry:
rainbow
Rank 3
Rank 3

It cold enough

Post by rainbow »

So does the weather
Best Wishes
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

Hello

It is a while since I last looked at your web site and forum. I cannot even see it on my laptop. My husband says it is because of our security system. He has done something to his computer so I can get through. You also seem to have problems with some symbols not coming out correctly.

I belong to a closed forum for people who share a particular interest. When needed we all chip in some cash to get it sorted. Might work for you. But then your site is supported by advertising which might put people off..

Merisin
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Indeed. A vicious circle as the advertising pays for the printing and design of the mag so absolutely necessary for a free site and free mag. i've never really understood why people dislike adverts, particularly on small sites and mags like this. The ads are there so that they can pick up the magasine and read the website free.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Merisin wrote:Hello

It is a while since I last looked at your web site and forum. I cannot even see it on my laptop. My husband says it is because of our security system. He has done something to his computer so I can get through. You also seem to have problems with some symbols not coming out correctly.

I belong to a closed forum for people who share a particular interest. When needed we all chip in some cash to get it sorted. Might work for you. But then your site is supported by advertising which might put people off..

Merisin
This thread (entirely light-hearted and helpful, even on my part) has been viewed 300-odd times and attracted 6 responses. If people can’t find the interest, or the energy, ever to say anything, I can’t imagine that they value the forum enough to pay actual money (this is not meant to be a dig: you do not comment all that often, but it’s valuable when you do. It takes all types).

I think you’d have to be particularly disdainful of Mammon to avoid the forum, or avoid contributing, by commenting or even with cash, because the main site has ads: you don’t even have to visit the main site, let alone look at the ads, or even less respond to them. Perhaps we should start a campaign to get Kate more housekeeping money.

For my own part, I feel guilty that I don’t often visit the main site, nor find the paper mag. I will try to do better.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

I noticed that the board itself is free software, and the supplier offers free updates, so I suppose that the cost of 1000 euros is to pay somebody to do the update.

Although I know that every change causes problems but I would have thought that is a viable student (college level not Uni level) project, or am I missing something?

Cheers
John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Sadly the version of the software that runs this forum is so, so, so out of date that we're not looking at an upgrade but a whole translation to a new software package. This requires a complex re-structuring of the database file that contains all the forum info with an almost certain loss of data in the process. This is a process full of hazards and not for the faint hearted.

The original complaint however was that the forum time was wrong. This was corrected ages ago but no-one noticed!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Webdoc wrote:The original complaint however was that the forum time was wrong. This was corrected ages ago but no-one noticed!
Not really a complaint, just a facetious remark. A bad habit of mine. I’ve got about 5 other things that tell the right time within a few feet. I’m even old-fashioned enough to still wear a wristwatch.

In any case it was my mistake to think that the forum ought be on heure d’été. I had missed the (rather small) note at the bottom of the page saying that all times are in GMT+1 (equals UTC+1, equals CET, equals French winter time all year round). Apologies to Kate and her old dog.