Moving to PO from the US

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Phil E
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed 19 Jul 2017 17:39

Moving to PO from the US

Post by Phil E »

Fleeing trump land...not really but it's another good reason to leave. My wife is French. We are selling most everything and enjoying the piles of paperwork in order to relocate. I'm slowly working on learning French and we will be helping to care for her aging parents.

It would be great to know someone in the area who speaks English as it will be some time before I can do much more than order coffee or get directions to the market.

For those of you who know musicians we are the makers of Phil-tone hand crafted saxophones mouthpieces. Www.phil-tone.com

I will be relocating the business to France.

It was great to find this site. It's nice to be able to get a bit of local news and be reminded that there is a reason I'm working myself to death to get there. Sadly it will be almost winter before it happens. Summer is so lovely there. Of course im currently in Oregon where it rains all winter and you don't see the sun.

Anyway...again thanks

Phil
User avatar
Kate
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1874
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2005 19:48
Contact:

Post by Kate »

Plenty of sunshine winter awaiting you here Phil. On courage with the move.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »

And there is not much of a winter here anyway, depending on where you are going to be. It helps to say where you are if you want to meet people: it's a tiny department compared to Oregon, but big enough by French standards.
Phil E
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed 19 Jul 2017 17:39

Thanks for the welcome

Post by Phil E »

Thanks for the welcome. We will be moving to Angoustrine-Villeneuve-des-Escaldes. It is indeed very small but I am looking forward to being in a place where nothing happens! It is close enough to other larger towns and there is always the Euro bus to get to Perpignan. I have made the drive but for my liking it was just too much work negotiating the mountain roads. If I dont need to haul something I will let someone else do the driving. French Busses in the region are comfy and I can spend my time looking out the window!
Florence
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri 13 May 2016 18:40
Contact:

Post by Florence »

Have you been there in winter? There´s good skiing round there and it gets quite cold, but you´ll have lots of sunshine.
Phil E
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed 19 Jul 2017 17:39

Winter

Post by Phil E »

Yes I've been there in both December and February. It was cold but one can't have everything. I've a busted knee so I won't be on the slopes most likely. There hasn't been much good snow the last few seasons. Just watch...inwill show up and get snowed in :roll:
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Re: Thanks for the welcome

Post by martyn94 »

Phil E wrote:Thanks for the welcome. We will be moving to Angoustrine-Villeneuve-des-Escaldes.
What a wonderful name, and a population of 710 according to Wikipedia: almost the big city.
User avatar
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat 07 Mar 2015 05:45
Contact:

Re: Moving to PO from the US

Post by Gus Morris »

Phil E wrote:
It would be great to know someone in the area who speaks English as it will be some time before I can do much more than order coffee or get directions to the market.



Phil
Now I know where you intend to live I feel emboldened to reply. The Cerdagne is certainly a beautiful and interesting area. Will you be able to find other English speakers up there to meet socially? Probably yes but they may be a little thin on the ground. Off the top of my head I can think of only one contributor to this forum who lives up there on the roof of the world. She is in the Capcir.

Bon chance

Gus
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu 12 Nov 2015 16:47
Contact:

Re: Moving to PO from the US

Post by Sus »

Phil E wrote:Fleeing trump land...not really but it's another good reason to leave. My wife is French. We are selling most everything and enjoying the piles of paperwork in order to relocate. I'm slowly working on learning French and we will be helping to care for her aging parents.

It would be great to know someone in the area who speaks English as it will be some time before I can do much more than order coffee or get directions to the market.

For those of you who know musicians we are the makers of Phil-tone hand crafted saxophones mouthpieces. Www.phil-tone.com

I will be relocating the business to France.

It was great to find this site. It's nice to be able to get a bit of local news and be reminded that there is a reason I'm working myself to death to get there. Sadly it will be almost winter before it happens. Summer is so lovely there. Of course im currently in Oregon where it rains all winter and you don't see the sun.

Anyway...again thanks

Phil
Welcome to the PO. We have also lived in Oregon and know the paperwork for the move only too well :twisted:
If you need any specific tips or help, please just ping me. One thought is to buy a car and bring it over, we did that as well. Cars are much cheaper in the US and shipping is very cheap. You wont pay any import or other taxes if it is for your private use but there is plenty of paperwork involved...
hariwallace
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat 15 Nov 2014 23:04

Re: Moving to PO from the US

Post by hariwallace »

… so did you finally make the move to the PO?
Post Reply