Hello everyone

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

willington
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willington »

Thanks to everyone for their positive comments and observations.

Whilst my French may be a bit rusty, I am far from incapable from holding a lengthy conversation in French...and FIVE other languages besides!

I cant think of anything worse than moving to another country and living in a 'Brit enclave'....I want to totally immerse myself into the French culture and integrate with the local people. Otherwise I would just stay in sunny Norfolk and use a Rosetta Stone language CD! :lol:

Before I decide upon the definitive property and location, I will rent for 6 months. Who knows, I may even have my home there custom built for me on a plot that meets all my criteria.
Geoman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Geoman »

I think if you want to integrate anywhere in this area is good. We bought in the mountains :Montferrer: we think we have found the perfect place. Yes it can be considered remote, but it is a very beautiful village with the most friendly people you could meet, our french isn't great but a little gets you a long way when they see you are trying. There is a house for sale on the village square which is full off character, has a fair bit of garden but would be suitable for goats, chickens etc. it's not everyone's cup of tea, but we love it & there's plenty of English speaking folk around.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

I merely flagged up the tramontaine as being a) something you migh not notice on an inspection and b) might well drive you nuts.
But obviously it doesn't affect everybody the same way.

Bonne Courage

J
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

The Tramontane can be a real problem. A friend of ours who is a GP here said that it is a fact that there are more domestic accidents and some children become hyper-active during the period of the Tramontane. ( I can confirm the children bit, as years ago, I taught English in a school in Toulouges and the kids were wild when the winds blew, I used to come home with a headache and sore throat trying to control them)!! I also know of people who have sold up here and moved to other areas. Having said all that, I think that this is a most beautiful region and the Tramontane isn't bad enough for us to leave after living here since 1986!!!! It's just a nuisance at times!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I would have a look at the bus network on here if public transport is important.

http://www.cg66.fr/553-plan-et-horaires.htm

You will see that somewhere around Elne Argeles and Le Boulou are of interest for Perpignan and the coast and Prades for the mountains.

Don't knock the ex-pat community and enclaves. Lots of people talk about integration but without a French partner, it's not that simple and having a network of people who share your language, culture, sense of humour and other interests can be a lifeline.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
willington
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willington »

Santiago wrote:I would have a look at the bus network on here if public transport is important.

http://www.cg66.fr/553-plan-et-horaires.htm

You will see that somewhere around Elne Argeles and Le Boulou are of interest for Perpignan and the coast and Prades for the mountains.

Don't knock the ex-pat community and enclaves. Lots of people talk about integration but without a French partner, it's not that simple and having a network of people who share your language, culture, sense of humour and other interests can be a lifeline.
Thanks for the info regarding the bus networks. I do drive, but you never know when you might need public transport.

I'm not knocking the 'enclaves', I just am used to living, in numerous countries, with the locals with few (if any) ex-pats in the area. The only country which I found was too much of a cultural difference for me was in the Dominican Republic (I disliked every minute having to be there....they even have armed guarda at McDonalds!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

The 66 doesn't really have expat enclaves like the Costa del Sol or Tenerife. What we mean by enclave is a village where you have a small chance of encountering some English-speakers in the local cafe or boulangerie, and half the time they will be tourists. There are no estates with a pub or corner shop. Nor is it like the Dordogne where 50% of the character houses are owned by Brits and every town has a cricket club.

What, I think, we mean by enclaves are villages that are popular with Brits. They will still only make up less than 1% of the population.

The only place I know that has a disproportionate amount of Brits is Leroy-Merlin, the big DIY store :)
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29