Hoping to relocate to the P-O

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

victor2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by victor2 »

Just joined. We live in Poussan now and are planning to revisit the P-O to see if it would be a suitable area for us to relocate.

We are retired and have two standard Poodles. Our hope is to find a home with a little land for a garden and a place our boys can play in. We have many friends here; however, we are looking for a more laid back life to enjoy the countryside and explore all the P-O has to offer.

Michal Cline
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Welcome to the PO. If you decide to move here I am sure you and your boys will be extremely happy. Its a beautiful area with many things to do and involve yourself in. We have a yorkie jack russell cross and a yorkie. Both go to a lady in Argeles for clipping. She has 6 or 8 poodles standard and miniature which she shows in France, Belgium, Portugal etc. I am retired and we have been here for 7 very happy years at the end of next month.
Dylan
victor2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by victor2 »

Dylan,

Thank you for your message! I look forward to meeting the woman you spoke of who has Standard Poodles.

I was in your area maybe 3 years ago and was very impressed.
We had to wait to visit again as it is too hot in the summer to travel there with the dogs. Then as the weather became cooler Aramis had an absess from a tick bite and needed to see the vet frequently after an operation to drain the area. He is fine now, and Tuesday the stitches will be removed. Then I need to make sure both boys are groomed before our trip. Each dog takes me one day!

As you also have two dogs, have you found that the area is a good place for dogs. I noticed on a map that there was at least one beach that allowed dogs in the summer.

Given your knowledge of the area, where would you suggest looking. We thought we could find a medium size village maybe 10-20 kilometers from the sea where it might be easier to find a house with some land and not too much wind.

Michal
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Couldnt and wouldnt want to advise you on good areas to live. Its fair enough to say you want to be 10 - 20 kms from the coast but the coast stretches from Cerbere up to Bacares/Leucate so you can imagine this takes in a very large area. We personally live on the edge of Argeles and love it. Just far enoughaway from the coast to be able to keep away from the tourists in July and August. Neither of our dogs need a great deal of exercise so we dont need wide open spaces for them and indeed 1 is now 17 with arthritis and cant walk far.
The lady with the poodles is the owner of Tiff Tou Tou the dog grooming parlour in Argeles.
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

MIchal
What colour are the poodles. If you buy a large plot of land, and the dogs are roaming alone, they might be found as Sangliers. The Standard Poodle is very large and similar to the pigs.

If you buy property and it's posted "ACCA" (maybe it's not 100% the letters), you might required to allow the hunters in your land.

There's another item which might be a problem with your dogs. Flebotome is the mosquito which gives Leishmaniose to the dogs. This is a very common problem in the Alberes part of the Pyrenees. This is a killer. I've heard that there's a new shot which can give to the dogs now. This bug is flying around the time after supper. You have to keep the dogs inside at that time.

Despite the items I mentioned, Les Alberes is a nice part of heaven.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Michal
This photo album gives a view of the PO. These photos are all within 20 kms of the coast. Most of this is adjacent to the Les Alberes.

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving.com/

Enjoy

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

relocating to the P.O.

Post by monsans »

There is a vacination for the mosquito mentioned above. All dogs whether French or otherwise should have this yearly. After such there is no problem. I would also point out that dogs are allowed on the beach after the lifeguards have left i.e. 19.00- 9.00 of course no 'poo' on the beach itself is allowed. But swimming is no problem. There are all day dog friendly beaches too.
victor2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by victor2 »

Blackduff,

Wonderful photos of the area. Thank you. Are those two dogs in the pictures yours? VERY nice! Mine are parti Poodles: One is blue and white and the other is apricot and white.

Leshimosous(sp?) is found through out the Med area. Between that and heartworm, both caused by mosquitos, one must indeed be very careful in the early morning and at nightfall. Also, that is why our back garden is covered in stones with little plant life and no standing water. I also spray them with vinegar or lemon and water and put apple cidar vinegar in their drinking water.

I am generally not in favor of any vacinations for people or animals. In my view and that of many scientists, all drugs have side effects, some worse than others. Having said this, I appreciate your caution regarding this problem in your area.

Here we also have sangulier. Very dangerous for dogs! I have only seen pet ones up close. Now, we have way too much land. Our plan is not to have more than 1,500M2 of terrain which would be enclosed by a high beton or stone wall.

Great information about the beaches. After 19 heures in the summer, it is still very nice for walking the beach. The boys will love it. Here the entire coast from Sete to Adge has been changed, and dogs are interdit from June through September.

Michal