Sepulchre

Struggling to break through the language barrier? Maybe we can help. Heard, seen or said something that made you giggle? We'd love to hear about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Sepulchre

Post by Santiago »

I'm about half way through this now.

If you liked Labyrinth this is pretty much the same story in a different time and slightly different place. She's knicked some ideas from Dan Brown (who knicked them from Beigent, Leigh and Lincoln) and added some history of Debussy for extra interest.

I think Sepulchre is better written than her first novel, which was just too Mills and Boon for me.

Kate Mosse is a good storyteller. My issue is that she thinks she's a better literary writer than she is. She wastes time and ink trying to write prose when she should just stick to the plot and keep it flowing. Far too many pointless adjectives!

The fact that the book includes a list of suitable book-club topics for discussion and a ready-made tour of the sites is just far too pretentious for my liking. Fancy assuming that your novel is so great that people will obviously want to discuss it and spend a couple of weeks following in its footsteps. She'll be writing A level papers for it next. :roll:
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

As my mum would say, she has ideas "audessus de sa gare"
Arthur and Lyn
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Arthur and Lyn »

I enjoyed the first novel, probably because I know many of the places mentioned. I just can't get into this one. I have a feeling Kate Mosse is on the Rick Stein programme when he is winding his way through France on the Canel du Midi. He stops off at the famous female British authors place for a meal, and she and her friends are awful and prentious, Oh Yah, yah. Even our Rick looks embarrased.

:lol: :lol: