Je Voudrais

Struggling to break through the language barrier? Maybe we can help. Heard, seen or said something that made you giggle? We'd love to hear about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Je Voudrais

Post by Owens88 »

Hi
Is the phrase 'Je Voudrais ' commonly used when ordering in a café / restaurant?
I don't even say 'I would like' in the UK as the context makes it obvious and the server has already asked something akin to 'what would you like ?'.

J
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

As in English John, you can use it but it’s not necessary.

Un café svp in answer to a ‘what would you like’ question would be more natural than je voudrais un café.....but both are fine.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

There’s quite an amusing tutorial here

https://www.commeunefrancaise.com/blog/ ... ance-local

But it only scratches the surface.

Kate is right of course. But your question asks about cafés or restaurants. If you’re buying a coffee at a coffee time of day, “un café svpâ€￾ is entirely sufficient. If the question is more open (eg three menus or à la carte or just a drink at lunch time) you might want to say more. I think I tend to say, eg, “je prends le menu à €15, svpâ€￾ or whatever, but that is probably far too abrupt.

If you start with “bonjourâ€￾, (or a handshake or a bise if you are a regular), I doubt that anyone will much register what follows.