Justificatif de Travail

Struggling to break through the language barrier? Maybe we can help. Heard, seen or said something that made you giggle? We'd love to hear about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Justificatif de Travail

Post by Allan » Mon 09 Oct 2017 20:13

I am applying for a visa to visit Thailand, one of their requirements is a Justificatif de Travail.

I have assumed that this could take the form of a letter from my Company confirming that I am employed as a Director.

I found some wording on the internet.

Objet : attestation d'emploi pour Madame/Monsieur (nom du salarié)

Je soussigné(e) Monsieur/Madame (nom de l'employeur), agissant en qualité de (fonction/pouvoir de l'employeur) dans l'entreprise (nom de l'entreprise), atteste que Monsieur/Madame (nom du salarié) travaille au sein de notre société depuis le (date d'embauche) en qualité de (fonction du salarié) dans le cadre d'un contrat à durée indéterminée, et qu'il/elle n'est ni en période d'essai, ni démissionnaire, ni en procédure de licenciement.

Fait à (lieu), le (date)
(signature)

Pour servir et valoir ce que de droit.

It seems self explanatory but what on earth does Pour servir et valoir ce que de droit mean. I don't mean literally, but is it a phrase use in French correspondence?

Also, have I made the wrong assumption, is there a more formal justificatif de travail?

Florence
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Florence » Mon 09 Oct 2017 22:20

The letter is fine. The last bit means for all legal intents and purposes. Just a formal expression.

Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus » Tue 10 Oct 2017 07:07

Agree with Florence, you might also want to add that all expenses are paid for by your company, not sure whether Thailand is specific about this requirement but other countries, ie China used to want to see that.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Justificatif de Travail

Post by martyn94 » Tue 10 Oct 2017 13:19

Allan wrote:
Also, have I made the wrong assumption, is there a more formal justificatif de travail?
If there were anything more formal than your template, it would have to be inscribed on vellum and delivered by archangels. The version I casually found on the internet had only the words of power in italics (“pour servir etcâ€￾). I suspect that this means that they are meant to be handwritten (just like “lu et approuvéâ€￾, which we must all have written a zillion times). Though god knows whether the Thai embassy would care. But it would do no harm.

If you squint a bit, it almost makes sense.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Tue 10 Oct 2017 13:39

I suppose it’s annoying to ask whether it’s an English company or a French one. If it’s an English one, as a director you aren’t strictly an employee and don’t have a CDI (unless you also have a contract of employment): you have an “officeâ€￾.

Ignore this. I am being difficult, and your template will surely do well enough.

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan » Tue 10 Oct 2017 13:54

martyn94 wrote:I suppose it’s annoying to ask whether it’s an English company or a French one. If it’s an English one, as a director you aren’t strictly an employee and don’t have a CDI (unless you also have a contract of employment): you have an “officeâ€￾.

Ignore this. I am being difficult, and your template will surely do well enough.
So speaks the Taxman.

It is an English company that I own, where I pay PAYE and have an indeterminate contract of employment.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Tue 10 Oct 2017 19:50

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote:I suppose it’s annoying to ask whether it’s an English company or a French one. If it’s an English one, as a director you aren’t strictly an employee and don’t have a CDI (unless you also have a contract of employment): you have an “officeâ€￾.

So speaks the Taxman.

It is an English company that I own, where I pay PAYE and have an indeterminate contract of employment.
I had assumed that it was an English company, and I had assumed that you paid PAYE to the extent that you are obliged to. But I had no idea whether you were an employee of the company: there is no particular need to be so if you happen to own it as controlling director, as I had assumed you do.

The distinction between “officesâ€￾ and “employmentsâ€￾ has been iron in my soul for decades. When I was first employed by the Inland Revenue (as was), I was responsible, in a subordinate way, for PAYE. I spent an inordinate part of my time dealing with tax cock-ups with CoE clergy. They had a special regime (a complete lash-up) designed to preserve the fiction that they had an office, and got paid, but had no employer to deduct tax from them (apart from God Above, who didn’t go in for tax paperwork).

The result was that their tax affairs were much more complex and error-prone than anyone else’s. But the more stubborn ones, of which there were plenty, took it very much to heart. The other denominations, from memory, were more pragmatic.