Arme blanche

Struggling to break through the language barrier? Maybe we can help. Heard, seen or said something that made you giggle? We'd love to hear about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Arme blanche

Post by Pearsonb »

What is the difference, if any, between couteau and arme blanche in the context of an attack?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I think an arme blanche is a general term for anything with a blade as opposed to an 'arme à feu' gun, cannon etc

If I understand correctly, because a blade is a cutting edge, clean (white?) there could be some connection there? Also a knife can "saigner à blanc" and I have read that it is a melange of the two which gives it that name.

'Blanc' in ancient french meant 'brillant' or 'shiny' - like a blade. Also, knives were often made with acier 'blanc' at the time.

A very tenous link says that King Arthur's famous sword, Excalibur, was originally called Caliburn ("acier blanc"), coming from chalybus (« acier ») and eburnus (« blanc »).

Who knows? They may all be stories but isn't it fun anyway to chase after the origin of a word or phrase?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Apart from the etymology, I think "arme blanche" is just more general - any edged weapon (machete, broken bottle...), rather than a firearm. If you've ever worked in a roughish pub, you'll be conscious that it doesn't have to be a knife to cut you up.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94 wrote:Apart from the etymology, I think "arme blanche" is just more general - any edged weapon (machete, broken bottle...), rather than a firearm.
As Kate said quite clearly in her first words. I got lost in her undergrowth (as it were).