Little England

Struggling to break through the language barrier? Maybe we can help. Heard, seen or said something that made you giggle? We'd love to hear about it.

Moderator: Moderators

Debbie and Noel

Little England

Post by Debbie and Noel »

Did anybody else see this prog on ITV last night? It was dire. Apparently this is series 2. Who would want to be involved in such rubbish?

Noel
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I watched the majority of the first series and recorded last night's episode. Must admit I have always viewed it, in the main, as a comedy rather than true to life. Although I understand that is how many Brits want to and do live over here. Why I do not know, surely the reason in coming here is to embrace the culture and way of life otherwise buy a sun bed and stay in Britain with a bottle of cheap supermarket plonk.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I saw the ad for it and commented it could be based in Dordogneshire or or Prades :roll:
But I did not watch, had an early start planned for today, but I may watch it on iplayer at some point.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Certainly the first series was filmed in the Dordoigne, all fish and chips, bowls and pubs!!
Dylan
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

Sue wrote: all fish and chips and pubs!!
sounds amazing ,how do i get there??? :D :D
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

:lol: :lol:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

........turn left at Bordeaux

:wink:

I have just watched it! :shock:
I will stick to my few anglophone friends .....
Next weeks English diner looks really embarasing :oops: real english lumpy mash!

That said we are on cottage pie tonight.......there are only so many snails a girl can eat.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Mrs H

Post by Mrs H »

opas wrote:........turn left at Bordeaux

:wink:
That will end you up in the Atlantic... I think you mean right
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I was giving directions from UK.

If you end up in Atlantic you missed your turning, do not trust your TomTom :oops:
Debeneur.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I think the first series was based in Eymet where many of the businesses are British-run.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

The one I watched mentioned the same place.
2 northerners telling us that they bought a 26ha vinyard, did not tell the real tale of just what qualifications they do have, but made it sound like they just up sticks and started making wine. I defer to Jonathon to elaborate but I do know that for a vinyard of that size ,it cannot happen like that.
Then there was the "curry" making couple.......dipping spoons inthe pot to taste and licking fingers....no despoable gloves. Just watch the Creole stall on Thuir market on Saturday, hygene all the way.
Debeneur.
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Well .... We lived 10 minutes from eymet for 10 months from jan this year.... (long story but we wanted to try different places and by random chance we ended up there)....I have met quite a few of the participants in the new and old series. I have to say, it is tongue in cheek as a program but it's not that wide of the mark! I would never ever want to live there again. It is lovely for a holiday (if anyone wants to go :) ) but to live it is not good. I am grateful we stumbled along our bit of paradise here earlier in the year :) The PO is stunning! And whilst there are many Brits all over France, this place has suffered less than the lot-et-Garonne/ dordogne!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Now I want to watch it. I have a bit of an issue with these people who make out that they just bought a vineyard and made some wine and Hey Presto! it turned out to be brilliant and now it's in Waitrose or British Airways 1st Class or whatever.

Every one of those stories is false. First of all SAFER don't allow the sale of vineyards to numpties with no experience. Secondly, like any craft, it requires training and experience. Thirdly, the winebuyer for Waitrose does not watch reality TV programs to decide which wines to stock.

They probably bought an existing company which employs a vineyard manager and an experienced winemaker but think the public is more likely to buy their wine if they pretend they make it themselves.

These kind of people make life difficult for those of us who are real, especially in the French market. I think most French people assume I am just a figurehead who lives in the UK and flies out to show tourists my vineyard, while proper French people do the work. You wouldn't believe the number of daft questions I get. Some guy thought we imported wine from Australia and owned the winery because it looks nice. Some woman believed me when I told her that I controlled the whole operation automatically from London via SMS. Even one of my pickers assumed that we were taking the grapes to the UK to make wine there.

Rant over.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

The majority of them on the programme are hooray henries (as we used to say) or else complete numpties. The only ones who, in my opinion, came across as real people in the last series were the husband and wife alpaca farmers.
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Have just watched this now and yes its still hooray henries and numpties. How on earth is a "british" summer fete which includes pin the tail on the donkey and egg and spoon and fathers races going to teach british kids about the UK and their heritage!!
Dylan
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

I tried to find it to watch but its not on any of the "catch up tv" that I can see! anyone know where it is.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Nigel and Karen wrote:I tried to find it to watch but its not on any of the "catch up tv" that I can see! anyone know where it is.
http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=326901
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Hi Sav When I try to access that link I get a message " Sorry this content is not accessable in your region" !!!!
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

redneckrover wrote:When I try to access that link I get a message " Sorry this content is not accessable in your region" !!!!
Unfortunately i get the same, if i try to access some French media from the UK.
I've seen this mentioned before, it might help.
http://www.expatshield.com/

Cheers Sav :)
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I pay about €5 a month for iportal, which enables me to watch programmes for up to a year. I have watched Coronation Street in NZ, Egypt, Switzerland and Thailand!
mammadee
Rank 2
Rank 2

Little England

Post by mammadee »

I watched it and sat feeling thankful that those people are in the Dordogne and not PO!!!!!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Long may they stay in the Dordogne and never discover the PO!!
Dylan
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

Thanks Sav, will watch later.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Has anybody been watching 'May the best house win'? It's mainly about properties in France and sometimes Spain. Nauseating!!!!!!! Thank goodness we live here and not Brittany or the Dordorgne! However, in the past when property programmes were filmed here in Thuir, Elne, Collioure etc, I found them interesting because they were for sale and not to 'SHOW OFF'!!!!!!!!!!
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

Daphne wrote:Thank goodness we live here and not Brittany
Been there... know the feeling only to well! :lol:
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I haven't met any other British people in the two years I have lived in Haute Savoie! Mind you, I haven't looked for any!
I enjoy looking at other people's houses - I am just nosy!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I shouldnt think you have time Carol with all your activities! Any way they are probably too scared to meet you in case you ask them to go walking with you!!
Dylan
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I do have a good friend 't'other side of the Lake', i.e. in Switzerland, but she is a good walker and has introduced me to some lovely parts of her country. She is teaching me to do cross-country skiing - I drew the line at downhill as I can't risk breaking anything. I do enjoy having a hot chocolate in the cafe at the foot of the ski slopes here and watching the four-year olds whizzing past!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

My ex and our children loved skiing. Hubby and I went to Austria a couple of times and to Andorra. We also took the children to Bulgaria. Twice I decided to have a go at downhill skiing but felt sick immediately the skis went onto my feet. Even had lessons in Andorra and went up on a button lift but couldnt ski back down. Took off the skis and walked over the side of the mountain until I came to a road. Never gave thought to possible ravines. Walking for an hour or so in ski boots is not recommended. In Austria I loved going up and down in the bubble cable cars and was quite happy to sit in or out a restaurant, with something a little stronger than hot chocolate in my hand, watching the little ones without ski poles and without fear. At the end of the day though give me the sunshine and beach life.
Dylan
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

You are very welcome to visit me,Sue! I tried going to the dry ski slope at Folkestone when I was still in the UK and I was O.K. with the balance (I used to be a keen roller skater) but I could never get the hang of getting off the button lift with skis on! The telesiege at my local ski station runs one day a week in summer, and I took it to the very top and walked back down. I usually walk up too, which makes about a four hour round trip. The views from the top are spectacular - North to Lake Geneva and South to Massif de Mont Blanc. I must say I get a bit queasy when it slows down and just sways, especially if it is over one of the deepest bits!
I like the sea too, and I have at least one holiday a year in tropical waters, snorkeling on coral. When I move to NZ, I will be living close to the Abel Tasman National Park, which has beautiful beaches - but I will still be only an hour from the nearest ski slopes!
I will be visiting various islands for the coral - New Caledonia, Fiji, Bali, etc. It will be much cheaper to fly from Auckland.

I lived in St. Cyprien Plage for nearly a year,overlooking the lagoon, and it was nice to be able to swim in the sea every day (apart from that wind!)