The Artist

Struggling to break through the language barrier? Maybe we can help. Heard, seen or said something that made you giggle? We'd love to hear about it.

Moderator: Moderators

John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

The Artist

Post by John & Elaine »

We went to see this new movie in Argelès last night. Forget giving the Oscar to the ubiquitous Jean Dujardin, it should definitely have been won by the dog played by 'Uggi'.

One of those films you should see. If only to reward the audacity of shooting a black & white silent movie today!

John & Elaine
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

emperor with no clothes

Post by rhys »

I'll be honest - I went to see this film purely on the basis of the UNIVERSALLY
excellent reviews it has had - have not seen a single negative one.

The whole idea sounded just stupid to me but I thought there MUST be something in a film which has been so well received ?

In fact, it turns out to be just as silly as you first imagined a black and white
silent movie made in the C21st would be : totally pointless.

There may be some value in seeing old silent movies from the epoque when the technology had not moved on to talkies - but this one is just the pastiche
you could have imagined - exaggerated expressions / glossy make-up / uninteresting story line - Yuck to the whole thing. I tried to get into it but was bored stiff and desperate for the FIN.

It's one of these totally emperor-with-no-clothes things - no-one dare say a bad word for fear of being ostracised from the pense'e unique.

:cry: