Roger

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Colin L

Post by Colin L »

The other day, St Peter went to make his daily report on the day’s intake to the Big Boss. “Anyone interesting today?” asked the Almighty.
“Well yes,” replied St Peter, “There is this guy from France, not French you understand, but from there. You know, he’s no sooner through The Gate and he’s asking, ‘Is there WIFI in this place?’ Next thing he wants to know if we use Amadeus. ‘Well yes,’ I told him, ‘We get old Wolfgang to knock up a sublime tune from time to time.‘ But that’s not what he meant as he carried on talking about the air in Switzerland. Said we should get it as it would help us schedule flights of angels and stuff. And you know that wriggly, scaly thing that we found in the gatehouse and noone could identify? Straight off he gives us a name, habitat and what the thing lives on. Amazing.”
“So are we letting him stay?” asked the Big Boss.
“Certainly,” St Peter replied, “he has a very high credit rating for being a good family man for being helpful to a whole load of people and for being generally an all-round good guy. May I go now, if you please, I have got all these names to write up in the Ledger?”
“Certainly, my son,” replied the Boss, “go write them up, but maybe you should install Amadeus. Worked well for Swissair and it would save us a lot of ink.”
With that the Almighty sent a celestial wink to Roger and smiled an infinitely wise smile.

So goodbye Roger, original member of this forum, prolific poster of all manner of interesting things, online source of amazing knowledge made freely available to all who asked, real life helpmate to many on the forum and generally all round good guy. We will miss you. But not a fraction as much as his family will. If you are looking in, you know we are all thinking of you.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Excellent Colin!

A fitting tribute - and one that I just know Roger would appreciate greatly.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

roger

Post by Sue »

I agree, excellent.
Dylan
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Somewhere he is smiling
That was nice Colin
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Colin L wrote:The other day, St Peter went to make his daily report on the day’s intake to the Big Boss. “Anyone interesting today?” asked the Almighty.
“Well yes,” replied St Peter, “There is this guy from France, not French you understand, but from there. You know, he’s no sooner through The Gate and he’s asking, ‘Is there WIFI in this place?’ Next thing he wants to know if we use Amadeus. ‘Well yes,’ I told him, ‘We get old Wolfgang to knock up a sublime tune from time to time.‘ But that’s not what he meant as he carried on talking about the air in Switzerland. Said we should get it as it would help us schedule flights of angels and stuff. And you know that wriggly, scaly thing that we found in the gatehouse and noone could identify? Straight off he gives us a name, habitat and what the thing lives on. Amazing.”
“So are we letting him stay?” asked the Big Boss.
“Certainly,” St Peter replied, “he has a very high credit rating for being a good family man for being helpful to a whole load of people and for being generally an all-round good guy. May I go now, if you please, I have got all these names to write up in the Ledger?”
“Certainly, my son,” replied the Boss, “go write them up, but maybe you should install Amadeus. Worked well for Swissair and it would save us a lot of ink.”
With that the Almighty sent a celestial wink to Roger and smiled an infinitely wise smile.

So goodbye Roger, original member of this forum, prolific poster of all manner of interesting things, online source of amazing knowledge made freely available to all who asked, real life helpmate to many on the forum and generally all round good guy. We will miss you. But not a fraction as much as his family will. If you are looking in, you know we are all thinking of you.

:( :( :( :( :(
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thank you,Opas.
Colin, Roger would certainly have appreciated that.
I feel as if I had lost an old friend, although we only met once, when, typically, he made sure my car would start when I had to leave it at Carcassonne for several months when my daughter was very ill in England.
I think we all recognised his simple goodness, as well as his humour and intelligence. A remarkable man.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Excellent. Roger deserves to be remembered like that. RIP
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Colin, I hope you won't mind - I have posted your tribute on thefranceforum because he was highly valued there and I think you have summed up his many qualities so well.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Has anyone looked on Pages Blanches for Roger's address?
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Opas sent it to me - it is in The White Pages, so already in the public domain, but I will leave her to give it to you.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

carol sheridan wrote:Colin, I hope you won't mind .....
Not at all, Carol, that's fine by me.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

A two-week computer breakdown has prevented me from logging in to the forum

I'm so terribly sorry to learn this sad news.
Dear Roger, as Rose and others said, was a true gentleman...polite, tolerant, with great intelligence and knowledge, helpful, good humoured, always trying to calm troubled waters. The forum will be a far poorer place without him, but we are the richer for having known him.
RIP, Rog.

Helen
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Roger was the person who first gave me advice on this forum before we even moved to France. He introduced us to the France / Grand Bretagne club when we came here.

On a trip to Rennes Le Chateau with that club my mum collapsed and guess who was first on hand to help.

I'll certainly miss Roger for his helpfulness, wealth of information, interesting comments and just his presence.

It was a pleasure to know you, Roger.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Roger Oliver

Roger seemed indestructible, a very fine man, intelligent, kind, without an ounce of meanness.
May I add my condolences to his family.

R. F.
Debbie and Noel

Post by Debbie and Noel »

May I make a suggestion?

Would it be appropriate for one of the forum members who are close to the family to print off these tributes and send them on to the family for incorporation in the Book of Condolences.

Noel
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Roger Oliver

A very good idea. When in grief, sympathetic support is always welcome and treasured.
RF.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

I agree, you already know your loved one was one in a million, but when you hear such tributes about him, it helps when people think of him so highly.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
pfrancis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Roger

Post by pfrancis »

A lovely man, rest in peace, roger.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I heard from Annaick, Roger's wife today. and I know she will not mind me sharing some of it with all his cyberfriends
She says....
He talked to me quite a few time about you, that's why I was really glad to find a way through the forum to contact you and inform you about this very sad news. This forum was a very big part of him.

I am glad I am busy so I dont think .... how much I miss Roger and how empty our "home" feels without him around, though I can feel he is not very far ! Well it helps to believe it as he always said it ! I shall always be around !
He was somebody very, very special !
Thank you to show me all those so loving and warm messages about him ! I am not surprised actually !! thank you very much to every one !

Kate, your suggestion about doing a gesture to some charity association in Roger's name, I think he would have loved that, it is a very good idea !
For those of you who may wish to make a donation in Roger's name, I would suggest a cheque to Penny Parkinson of CSF (details here http://www.anglophone-direct.com/-Misc- ... t-Medical-?)