Irish passeports

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Irish passeports

Post by russell »

If anyone's considering applying for an Irish passport before Brexit you had better do it soon.
I applied for mine just over five months ago and it arrived yesterday. I have never stepped foot in Ireland but my father was born in Belfast so I qualify.

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Do go and set foot in Ireland: it’s very nice if you avoid the stag do’s around Temple Bar in Dublin. You could even go and kiss the Blarney Stone and post here even more often than you do (or at least that’s my excuse).
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Must admit I applied for an Irish passport shortly after the referendum. Piece of cake. The application process was very user friendly. Only took a couple of months. I understand that they have issued well in excess of 100,000 passports to non-residents since Brexit became a reality.

Gus
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

What are the advantages of having an Irish passport?
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

You remain an EU citizen after Brexit.

Russell
jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jethro »

It costs 80 euros and is dealt with by the Irish Embassy in Paris. I can now join the EU airport queue after Brexit , but I doubt if the safeguarding of S1 privileges will be part of the deal, since I have never been a member of the Irish Social Security system. If the French decide to play hardball with Brits after Brexit, and there is no reason why they should, they will find it hard to eject an EU citizen.
an' the wun' cried Mary.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Never thought of it affecting what queue I stand in! Thanks
Cahill
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Irish passeports

Post by Cahill »

I'm in the middle of this process. I visited Stormont whilst holidaying in Belfast last January and was told by the tour guide that I could apply for an Irish passport as my grandfather was Irish, others on the tour, all Irish, confirmed this.

It's complicated because I was adopted at birth by a Yorkshire couple, ( I'm proper Yorkshire, sithee). At age 18 I accessed my birth certificate and other details which informed me that my grandfather ( maternal) was born in County Clare. I have tried to chase up other information that would suppport an application for an Irish passport. I have found his death certificate, and marriage certificate, I paid for them from Rotherham MBC.,he married and died ( 1937) in Rotherham. We have researched intensely including meeting with relatives I have never seen before, two recently. We believe we have found when and where he was born. We probably need to visit Ireland to add the final touch.

So near and yet so far away

Anyone offer any adviçe ?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Irish passports

Post by Allan »

I agree that an Irish passport would get you in the EU queue but surely Irish citizens do not have to have an Irish passport just as you can be a citizen of Britain without a British passport.

Ireland defines an Irish citizen as someone born on the island of Ireland, or their descendants, that doesn’t change whether or not you have an Irish passport.

I looked into this some time ago, and there is no process to register as an Irish citizen unless you are applying for naturalisation. Their assumption is simply that if you satisfy the birth criteria then as far as they are concerned, you are Irish.

I accept that a passport would be good evidence but then so too would be a birth certificate.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Irish passeports

Post by martyn94 »

Cahill wrote: Fri 07 Dec 2018 12:05 I'm in the middle of this process. I visited Stormont whilst holidaying in Belfast last January and was told by the tour guide that I could apply for an Irish passport as my grandfather was Irish, others on the tour, all Irish, confirmed this.

It's complicated because I was adopted at birth by a Yorkshire couple, ( I'm proper Yorkshire, sithee). At age 18 I accessed my birth certificate and other details which informed me that my grandfather ( maternal) was born in County Clare. I have tried to chase up other information that would suppport an application for an Irish passport. I have found his death certificate, and marriage certificate, I paid for them from Rotherham MBC.,he married and died ( 1937) in Rotherham. We have researched intensely including meeting with relatives I have never seen before, two recently. We believe we have found when and where he was born. We probably need to visit Ireland to add the final touch.

So near and yet so far away

Anyone offer any adviçe ?
I’m not clear what advice you think you might need. But Irish birth records can be searched on line, eg
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... search.jsp
If you find the entry you need, it is easy enough to buy a copy of the certificate.