Strikes

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue 02 Sep 2008 15:24
Contact:

Strikes

Post by Lanark Lass » Tue 20 Mar 2018 23:15

Is France planning a seies of strikes - not only rail workers but also air traffic controllers and civil servants? Something to do with Macron's planned changes?

Not in France at the moment but will be soon?

User avatar
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue 20 Dec 2005 20:08
Contact:

Post by Helen » Wed 21 Mar 2018 10:44

This is my go-to site for info about current and planned strikes

http://www.cestlagreve.fr


The French Air traffic Controllers are striking tomorrow

Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue 02 Sep 2008 15:24
Contact:

Post by Lanark Lass » Wed 21 Mar 2018 10:54

Thanks for that, Helen. Trying to sort out travel from the UK for early April. Looks tricky whether you fly or use the train!

dsd
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat 16 May 2015 12:30
Contact:

Post by dsd » Wed 21 Mar 2018 14:52

The best bet would be to fly to Gerona, if you can sort out the last leg from there to here. We're so lucky in times of strike to have Spain so close; it's saved me hassle loads of times. English school holidays start this weekend so 'summer' flights are mainly starting next week
Good luck!

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 » Wed 21 Mar 2018 17:54

Helen wrote:This is my go-to site for info about current and planned strikes

http://www.cestlagreve.fr
I don’t know how reliable the info is: it tends to chop and change. But it gives you a link to a “site de rencontres sérieuxâ€￾. I guess you’ld have to wear a black polo-neck, and discuss J-P Sartre. But better, a bit, than waiting for a train that isn’t going to come.

User avatar
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri 21 May 2010 16:03
Contact:

Post by russell » Thu 22 Mar 2018 11:36

dsd wrote:The best bet would be to fly to Gerona, if you can sort out the last leg from there to here. We're so lucky in times of strike to have Spain so close; it's saved me hassle loads of times. English school holidays start this weekend so 'summer' flights are mainly starting next week
Good luck!
Doesn't always work. Ryanair have cancelled our daughter's flight from Stanstead to Barcelona today. Re-booked for Sunday with fingers crossed.

Russell

User avatar
EILEEN
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri 25 May 2012 15:46
Contact:

Strikes,

Post by EILEEN » Thu 22 Mar 2018 15:35

russell... the air traffic service here in France is also "doing" a strike today... so flights passing through from UK to Spain are also affected. So using Girona and Barcelona is not always a solution to strikes here!!
EILEEN

User avatar
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri 21 May 2010 16:03
Contact:

Re: Strikes,

Post by russell » Thu 22 Mar 2018 17:26

EILEEN wrote:russell... the air traffic service here in France is also "doing" a strike today... so flights passing through from UK to Spain are also affected. So using Girona and Barcelona is not always a solution to strikes here!!
Quite!

Russell

clarkebarry
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed 13 Jun 2018 09:24
Contact:

Post by clarkebarry » Wed 27 Jun 2018 12:48

Under the new reform plans, SNCF’s legal corporate status would change from a state enterprise (known as an EPIC) to what is known in many other countries as a limited or joint-stock company. The existing 150,000 rail workers will hold on to their generous employment rights but new recruits will not be given the job-for-life guarantees an automatic annual pay increase that SNCF employees have enjoyed for decades. Looks like early retirement rights are also likely to vanish but as part of a separate overhaul of the French pensions system. I think this is the reason why there are strikes across France

Post Reply