How was it for you?

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

How was it for you?

Post by martyn94 » Tue 06 Feb 2018 14:51

We sometimes get asked for advice from people thinking of coming here. It’s almost impossible but we do our best.

Perhaps more often, we hear from members who, expressly or by implication, are selling up and going. I’d never dare ask why, but it would be interesting (not least for the prospective incomers - my boats are well and truly burnt) to have a sort of parting overview: what went well, and what less so; do you, in retrospect, think you chose the right place; what do you wish you’d known then that you know now.....?

It’s traditional in the UK FCO for Ambassadors to send a last telegram at the end of their posting (not, of course, a real telegram now) which is more personal and “unbuttonedâ€￾ than usual. Something like that, if it could be written comfortably.

User avatar
Kate
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1800
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2005 19:48
Contact:

Post by Kate » Wed 07 Feb 2018 07:31


User avatar
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat 07 Mar 2015 05:45
Contact:

Post by Gus Morris » Wed 07 Feb 2018 18:52

We’ve lived here for more than two decades and have seen a few Brits come and go. In our experience these are some of the more common reasons for leaving:

-Family pressure. The call of the grandchildren, offspring with problems.

-Tension. Couples where only one party has really bought into the idea of living in France.

-Financial. Living in France in holiday mode. Budget planned on an exchange rate of £1 Stg = Euros 1.45. Inadequate resources.

-Death of a partner.

Oddly enough we’ve also come across couples who decided to return “homeâ€￾ and then reappeared a few years later!

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 » Sat 10 Feb 2018 18:44

Gus Morris wrote:We’ve lived here for more than two decades and have seen a few Brits come and go. In our experience these are some of the more common reasons for leaving:

-Family pressure. The call of the grandchildren, offspring with problems.

-Tension. Couples where only one party has really bought into the idea of living in France.

-Financial. Living in France in holiday mode. Budget planned on an exchange rate of £1 Stg = Euros 1.45. Inadequate resources.

-Death of a partner.

Oddly enough we’ve also come across couples who decided to return “homeâ€￾ and then reappeared a few years later!
This all seems plausible enough. But everyone has their own reasons for going, which are no business of mine, except maybe “it was just a big mistake, for reasons XYZâ€￾. I was interested in what we have in common, which is having lived here.

I once wrote a piece about tax, working for HMRC, for an expat group in PACA, and gave my email address at the end. The response which struck me most was from someone who was the less enthusiastic partner in a couple who had moved there, and the more enthusiastic one had died soon after, leaving them pretty much stranded. I had no useful response for them, and still don’t: except maybe to keep all your papers (on paper and electronically) in good order, and in a language that your partner is good at and can get at.

Sus
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu 12 Nov 2015 16:47
Contact:

Post by Sus » Tue 13 Feb 2018 08:31

Kate wrote:Here’s one opinion.
http://anglophone-direct.com/returning- ... -years-po/
This is beautiful, thanks for sharing!

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 » Sat 17 Feb 2018 20:00

Sus wrote:
Kate wrote:Here’s one opinion.
http://anglophone-direct.com/returning- ... -years-po/
This is beautiful, thanks for sharing!
Chacun at his goût, as the author might have said. It read to me like Peter Mayle (RIP) on an exceptionally bad day. But to be fair to the dead, much worse (and more condescending) than that.
Last edited by martyn94 on Thu 22 Feb 2018 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1377
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan » Sun 18 Feb 2018 07:43

martyn94 wrote:
Sus wrote:
Kate wrote:Here’s one opinion.
http://anglophone-direct.com/returning- ... -years-po/
This is beautiful, thanks for sharing!
Chacun at his goût, as the author might have said. It read to me like Peter Mayle (RIP) on an exceptionally bad day. But to be fair to the dead, much worse (and more condescending) than that.
Oh Martyn!

It isn’t a novel, so what if the style is a bit self-indulgent, i don’t think it merits a critique.

In amongst the ‘franglais’, the writer makes some valid points about things he likes about life in France.

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue 02 May 2006 19:09
Contact:

Post by Webdoc » Sun 18 Feb 2018 12:09

I've read many short pieces by Simon Newman over the years and always found them entertaining. I even had the pleasure of meeting him once. Charming chap.

And yes, he made some good points. In fact it was just what was asked for at the start of this thread.

Post Reply