French TV

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

French TV

Post by Gus Morris »

Why are some programmes so long? I've been watching Les Temoins 2 on FR2. Do they really need to show two one hour episodes one after the other? This week they had an interesting current affairs programme investigating some of the more dubious aspects of the catholic church in France. Two hours plus a discussion.Far too long in my opinion.

I try to watch the evening news and Arte has some interesting stuff too. I must admit I've watched more French TV since I lost Freesat.

Gus

PS I don't need any recommendations on ways of watching UK TV. Thanks but no thanks.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Various reasons, I suspect. Partly because it's cheaper, per minute, than making them shorter. Partly, on some chains, because you can sell more advertising if you can keep your audience for an hour rather half an hour. Partly, and linked to that, because longer programmes can flatter the audience that they are getting something more sophisticated. But mostly, I guess, because there is so much more time to fill, and only finite talent and material. And of course they don't have cricket to mop up the surplus.