Carte de Sejour

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Carte de Sejour

Post by Gus Morris »

Post Brexit I decided I'd better get a Carte de Sejour. I thought it would be a nightmare. But it wasn't. I applied via the Prefecture's website. They told me what I needed to provide at the interview. Then I waited about six weeks for an appointment. Turned up on time. Did the interview, had my fingerprints taken and was told my application would be processed. Seemed pretty straightforward.

Now all I have to do is wait for my card to be ready!

Gus
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Interesting. What are the potential advantages?
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

[quote="Kate"]Interesting. What are the potential advantages?[/quote

I am a UK citizen and want to be able to remain in France post-Brexit. I discovered that I meet the criteria for a Carte de Sejour. It therefore seemed sensible to apply and thus strengthen my position as a long term resident. After all this is virtually a zero cost option!

It is also a more acceptable form of ID than my Permis de Conduire.

Gus
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

I would think just about anyone fits the criteria at the moment for a carte de sejour. These were obligatory many years ago and to be honest they are not very strict rules. If ( or when) UK Brexits I doubt that it would even be valid as everything will change in that respect. There is no advantage at all in having one apart from it is the equivalent of a identity card. I have had 3 , last one was is 2002. Pain in the butt to have to do all the paperwork each time and think the mairie was glad to no longer have to do them for me.
I would think that the most important criteria if there is a Brexit would be an actual resident here and declare all revenue here .
catllar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by catllar »

tia wrote:I would think just about anyone fits the criteria at the moment for a carte de sejour.
Depends how long you've lived here.
Life is not a rehearsal
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

A carte de sejour is not based on how long you live here. Every Brit expat over age 16 ( or 18 can't remember which)had to apply for one up until around 2002 when it was stopped. It is just based on a person being resident here and proving you have enough money to live on.
Asking for French citizenship is based on how long you have lived here .
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

tia wrote: Asking for French citizenship is based on how long you have lived here .
And so is permanent residence: both after 5 years, I believe. Initially good for 10 years, but renewable if you can still, e.g., support yourself.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Well I've got it!

I've collected my Titre de Sejour from the Prefecture. In and out in a couple of minutes!

If anybody else wants to go the same way I'll happily answer questions. If I can! Just drop me a line.

Gus
Anniseed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Carte séjour

Post by Anniseed »

We have just been to collect our Carte séjour 's , the have issued them for 5 years instead of 10 . They just said it would have to be renewed after 5 .
Anyone else been issued with just 5 years ? Thanks .
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

My wife and I both applied at the same time. Cards issued valid for ten years.

Gus
kathyw
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kathyw »

We both got issued 10 year ones too last year