Sangliers

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Sangliers

Post by martyn94 »

You may have seen that some sangliers went for a dip the other day

http://www.midilibre.fr/2016/09/04/inso ... 388265.php

Like me, you were probably shocked that they were stark naked in front of a beach-full of impressionable young people. It seems that Banyuls has banned boarkinis.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hahahahaha
Or hasn't banned boarkinis
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

:lol: :lol:
catllar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by catllar »

Sore point with us at the moment - they have discovered our garden to be source of delight and are amusing themselves by churning it up a bit at a time. They are tastefully re-arranging my planting scheme as they go and restructuring the paths.

The local chasse have done a couple of beats and last weekend removed 8 animals from the garrigue behind us. Obviously there are still more little blighters to be dealt with!
Life is not a rehearsal
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Sangliers

Post by Lanark Lass »

No need to worry about them eating your veggies - they've been taken to the Parc Animalier at Les Angles now (France Bleu).
catllar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by catllar »

Had a local trapper come to the house yesterday and he talked about a product to deter sangliers, available from Belloc at Millas. Off I trotted to purchase this stuff which is in the form of granules which you place about the area and the sangliers eat it and it makes them sick. Apparently they remember this was not a good eating place and will go elsewhere! Hmmmm. Anyway the dragon behind the counter refused to sell me this stuff (only available on order) at Belloc as I am not a professional and don't have a Certi-Phy. This is some sort of paper saying I have been on a training course to handle dangerous materials. It took me a while to shoehorn the details from her - I guess she was having a bad day - but she did eventually give me the name - Rep-Clap. So I came home and ordered it on Amazon.fr. I'll report back on efficacity when I've trialled it if anyone is interested.
Life is not a rehearsal
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

catllar wrote:Had a local trapper come to the house yesterday and he talked about a product to deter sangliers, available from Belloc at Millas. Off I trotted to purchase this stuff which is in the form of granules which you place about the area and the sangliers eat it and it makes them sick. Apparently they remember this was not a good eating place and will go elsewhere! Hmmmm. Anyway the dragon behind the counter refused to sell me this stuff (only available on order) at Belloc as I am not a professional and don't have a Certi-Phy. This is some sort of paper saying I have been on a training course to handle dangerous materials. It took me a while to shoehorn the details from her - I guess she was having a bad day - but she did eventually give me the name - Rep-Clap. So I came home and ordered it on Amazon.fr. I'll report back on efficacity when I've trialled it if anyone is interested.
But they looked so cute on the video.
catllar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by catllar »

Look even cuter on a plate!

Received my Rep-Clap this morning! We'll let you know how it works - that said, we had no piggy- wiggles in the garden last night - have readjusted the electric fence wires a bit - you get a bit desperate when they've been treating the garden like a ploughing contest!

According to the trapper man the number of sangliers in the department is going up and up - last year some 11000 were hunted, compared with 8000 the year before. He said the hunters don't want to reduce the population of sangliers to a low level - they like to have a good stock for shooting year on year -! No worries on that score for a while then!
Life is not a rehearsal
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

Yes they are everywhere at the moment.

The usual tally in Reynes is 100-110 per year. Last year it was 235 and most of the neighbouring teams shot twice as many as usual. Having interbred with the domestic pigs in Spain which are left to roam free, they are now having 2 litters per year instead of one, that's 8-12 piglets per sow per year. The numbers of these 'pattes blanches' or crossed pigs is on the rise.

This started with the big fire in Spain several years ago which drove large numbers of pigs over the mountains and border into our territory.

You are correct that we hunters do like to have a good stock in place, but we also need to be aware that if numbers get too far out of control they will develop swine fever and be wiped out as they were here in the 80s, necessitating a restock and release programme.

As ever it is a question of maintaining the balance and culling to keep a healthy population in place as they have few natural predators left.

This year we have already shot getting on for 50 in Reynes since the season opened on 15th August................
catllar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by catllar »

Ahah, so we have the spanish piggies to thank then, do we? Checks and balances as ever...... Personally don't mind how many of them trundle around in the garrigue behind us - just keep the heck out of my garden!
Life is not a rehearsal