Donald Tusk

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Donald Tusk

Post by GrahamC »

Here's one for all you Remainers. Donald Tusk. Remember voting for him? No, nor do I. Don't like his policies? Tough, you can't hold him responsible at the ballot box. He's not accountable to the electorate.

Here's what he has been chosen to do, by other unelected 'representatives'.

The President of the European Council (sometimes referred to as the President of the European Union) is a principal representative of the European Union (EU) on the world stage, and the person presiding over and driving forward the work of the European Council.[1] This institution comprises the college of heads of state or government of EU member states as well as the President of the European Commission, and provides political direction to the European Union (EU).
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Donald Tusk

Post by martyn94 »

GrahamC wrote:Here's one for all you Remainers. Donald Tusk. Remember voting for him? No, nor do I. Don't like his policies? Tough, you can't hold him responsible at the ballot box. He's not accountable to the electorate.

Here's what he has been chosen to do, by other unelected 'representatives'.

The President of the European Council (sometimes referred to as the President of the European Union) is a principal representative of the European Union (EU) on the world stage, and the person presiding over and driving forward the work of the European Council.[1] This institution comprises the college of heads of state or government of EU member states as well as the President of the European Commission, and provides political direction to the European Union (EU).
After a certain amount of repetition, this just seems obsessive. I didn't "vote for" David Cameron, nor for my maire in France, nor for the chairman of my parish council in the UK. I did vote for the people who voted for them (or very much didn't vote for him in the case of D Cameron, but I don't hold him less legitimate on that account). Democracy and accountability doesn't always imply direct election, especially in an organisation of twenty-odd states, with a few fewer languages. Just take a deep breath, get over it, and judge him by his record.
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

Repetition, obsessive? I'm not the one who started these idiotic threads dismissing all Brexiters as loons. But I'm certainly not going sit idly by and let what little conversation there is about this debate be dominated by purile insults and facile, utterly ignorant arguments.

Get over it? I'm sorry I really don't know what you mean by that.

Are you suggesting that the Brexit debate is unimportant? Are you suggesting that issues of democratic accountability are nothing to get excited about?

Or are you just saying that us 'loony' Brexiters are being emotional and for that reason we should simply allow Britain to slide into a federal state unchallenged and un-debated? God help us all if that's how the future of Europe is going to be decided.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I smell a Troll!

Gus
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Gus Morris wrote:I smell a Troll!
One who is consistently rude about other people and their opinions but accuses them of his own faults.

Russell.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I'm not going to edit this thread yet - I know it's a ‘man thing’, and some of you are unable to express yourselves without coming over as just plain arsy….but please give a thought to how you say what you say. Just re reading something and taking out a couple of words can make a difference. It’s because of threads like these that this and many other forums dont work well anymore. People are interested in the opinions of others, whether they be in agreement or not, but as soon as it becomes a nasty or childish spat, it puts them off coming back.

Then of course, some people love winding up, causing trouble and upset. I recently spoke with a gentleman who used to come on this forum ‘just to wind people up and see where it went’ he said with a smile.

The thing that always makes me sad about these kind of threads is how often the person behind the alias is often lovely in real life! Please think before you speak. Thanks