Is this the nicest time of year here?

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Is this the nicest time of year here?

Post by martyn94 »

I know it's a silly question, but it struck me while doing my Saturday morning turn round Port-Vendres market. It may not be the nicest time in an absolute sense, but you could not ask for a lovelier day at the very end of October.

And it's a time of year when the "value-added" seems particularly high:as it happens, the other places I might be (Paris or the Seine-Maritime) also seem to be having gorgeous autumn weather, but those odd few degrees at this season make the difference between t-shirt and no socks, and sweatshirt and socks and even lighting the stove if you're nesh.

That said, I remember the day I signed the acte authentique for my house in mid-December: even more delightful, but not so reliable.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

No tourists. I know the region needs them to keep the businesses ticking over but it is lovely without them!
Dylan
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Sue wrote:No tourists. I know the region needs them to keep the businesses ticking over but it is lovely without them!
Is that so? I live just by the path down from PV station, and there is still a good stream of hikers passing through. And plenty of Brits (and others) around the port. I guess you pick up their voices more when the ambient noise level is bit lower, and they perhaps have dwellings round here, so are not strictly tourists. But there are still plenty, for the season. And I wouldn't want any fewer, at any time of year.

They give the place some life, and even give you scope for random acts of kindness: I sheltered some bike tourists the other week who were absolutely drowned as rats from one of our storms. I wish they had left a bit sooner the following morning, but that's young people for you.

In fact, they weren't particularly young, but in that endlessly protracted semi-teenage that fairly gifted kids seem to go through nowadays when they do Masters in this and diplomas in the other and stages in between. You don't seem to reach adulthood until about 32. But that's just me being an old fogey.