The palm tree moth

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

The palm tree moth

Post by Allan »

Earlier this year I found evidence of attacks on my palm trees by the dreaded moth.

I read the article on the PO life website but it only mentioned one product - Biopalm which I believe is more for prevention than cure. Biopalm is only available to individuals in small quantities.

I have done quite a bit of reading on the subject and found that throughout the world a more common treatment is to use nemotodes which are microscopic organisms that attack the larvae of the moth and hopefully kill it off.

I am about to treat my trees with a product called Palmanem that is available to the public and seems to be very widely used. From what I have read the success rate is high.

Has anyone else had to treat palm trees, if so what have you used and how successful was it?

I would be particularly interested in what people have used as a delivery mechanism. I have 10 adult trees which would take an awfully long time with a sprayer.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Don't have an answer for you, Allan, but replies will also interest us. Thank goodness, we only have one tree
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

My husband is just in the middle of helping someone to sort out their infected palm trees. It has to be done by qualified people, costs a fortune and the material is cut and ground up, and disposed off in designated spots so as not to risk further infection. I think they said that once infected, it is very difficult to control and often better to get shut!
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

I echo the response from Kate but, in addition, I believe the Marie of the commune must be informed.
We have friends who had to remove an infected tree, the qualified people who dealt with the removal said they would have to inform the Marie.
In Argeles, where they live, the Marie is monitoring progress of the infestation and reporting to the Prefecture.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

France of course is a country that loves everything done by 'qualified' people but since finding some evidence of 'the moth', I have read very widely on the subject, wherever possible reading scientific papers. Such as http://www.fredon-corse.com/standalone/ ... vbc6g0.pdf

The conclusion from what I have read is that particularly in the early stages, nematodes are a highly effective biological treatment that you can buy over the counter and apply yourself.

Obviously I cannot speak about the requirements of individual Mairies but historically notification was required for another palm tree pest, the red palm weevil.

Evidence of the moth larvae does not necessarily mean a full scale infestation, if the core of the tree has been destroyed then there is little hope for it but I'm certainly not giving up at the first hurdle.

The product that I am using is described here http://boutique.crisop.fr/WebRoot/ce_fr ... lmanem.pdf

I'll post the results next year when I know how successful the treatment has been.