Apricot Jam

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

hamyat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Apricot Jam

Post by hamyat »

I would like to make some apricot jam and I thought there was a recipe on here somewhere but I can't seem to find it . Please can anyone help with a fool-proof recipe? Thanks
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I have recently made jam and conserve both worked fine. I can't find the recipes but I usually just google and voila there is a huge choice.
Dylan
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Easy-peasy. For I kilo ripe apricots I use only half a kilo sugar, altho' the recipe says I kilo sugar for I kilo fruit - far too sweet IMO.
Ok - so start by cutting up the fruit, retrieve the nuts from the kernals and fling them in with the fruit and the sugar in a heavy pan. Leave overnight.
Next morning, bring it to the boil and let it boil madly for 20 minutes, stirring now & then so that it doesn't burn at the bottom of the pan. Spoon off the scum now & then.
And.....here's Helen's Secret: just before the end of the boil add in a good soup spoon of whiskey! It gives the jam that intriguing je ne sais quoi. Believe me, it makes a difference.
Fill, cover and turn the sterilised jars upside down till cold. I store the jam in the fridge as there's not a great deal of sugar in it. Keeps well for a few months.
Helen
ps for cherry jam, add kirsch. A dash of whiskey goes well in strawberry jam as well. Just try it!
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Sounds lovely Helen, will certainly give the apricot one a try. Visiting friends in the Dordorgne in September so if it's succesful, will take them a jar!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

There's a really nice one too in a past P-O Life......but can't remember which! Just remember the jam! :oops:
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Here is an apricot chutney. Lovely with a curry!

http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Aprico ... he=apricot
Dylan
hamyat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Apricot jam

Post by hamyat »

Thank you; the pan is bubbling away -fingers crossed it will set and I'm definitely putting in the whiskey.