Odd Question?

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Odd Question?

Post by Gus Morris »

Chatting with friends recently and we were talking about UK TV shows sold to France Television.(But not Arte). Midsomer Murders, Broadchurch and Lewis sprung to mind. However nobody could name any series made by the BBC. Which seems odd given the quality of their output. Maybe we just got it wrong. Any thoughts?

Gus
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Dr. Who? Top Gear? I am only guessing.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

France only very recently took the Top Gear brand on a station I can't remember the name of. It follows the format with its own presenters.

The BBC did buy "Engrenage" or "Spiral" in English. Great series too. Worth watching in either language.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Apparently Engrenages was the first French TV series bought by the BBC since the 1980's.

Our discussion was focused on the material shown on the France Television group. FR2, FR3 etc.Come to think of it I have seen references to Dr Who in a TV guide. But have no idea on which channel it was shown.

Gus
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Sherlock (France 4) - 2014

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_ ... télévisée)

There are several paragraphs also in the link below where a buyer for France Televisions explains why UK originations and formats are attractive to their viewers.

http://economia.icaew.com/business/octo ... on-the-box

Edit: Sorry, cannot get the first link to work, so I'm afraid it's a case of copy and paste.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Dr Who is shown on France 4 too. Has been for a number of years, usually one series behind the UK.

I got so used to Matt Smith speaking French that when I caught an episode in the UK I was totally discombobulated!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

yes, Dr Who & Top Gear are massive and sold worldwide.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29