UK Referendum on continued British membership of the EU

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Sue wrote:The other one is Fromage :lol:
Yes, a rather bitter one :(

Russell
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

A simple question.

Did everyone in your household vote the same way?

Ours didn't, and we still share a bed!
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

No, our cats didn't vote at all so we have cut their rations by 10% like our pensions :D

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

opas wrote:A simple question.

Did everyone in your household vote the same way?

Ours didn't, and we still share a bed!
Vive la différence. And long may it continue.

But I have to say that I cleave to Bill Shankly's view: not a matter of life and death, but much more serious than that. If I never hear any more about the sainted art 50, it won't be too soon, but I fear I will be disappointed.
jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

pensions and health care

Post by jethro »

Today's Torygraph has a piece which quotes Jean-Claude Juncker as saying that expats will now lose their pensions and health care. Even if this were true,we are numerous enough and bright enough to tie them up in litigation for eternity. But it shows something of the arrogance of these people that such a claim can be made without a single shred of proof or justification.
an' the wun' cried Mary.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: pensions and health care

Post by martyn94 »

jethro wrote:Today's Torygraph has a piece which quotes Jean-Claude Juncker as saying that expats will now lose their pensions and health care. Even if this were true,we are numerous enough and bright enough to tie them up in litigation for eternity. But it they shows something of the arrogance of these people that such a claim can be made without a single shred of proof or justification.
I was not sufficiently curious actually to pay money for the Telegraph, so I'll have to take your word for what he was said to have said. I don't know about pensions, but in relation to health care what you quote seems entirely accurate, and I don't see how any amount of litigation could change it. Though if we're lucky some successor arrangement might be negotiated.

Not that I am any fan of Juncker: I used to sit on EU working parties with him when he was less grand, and he made my flesh creep. But that is an occupational hazard if you have to defend Luxemburg.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

martyn94 wrote: I was not sufficiently curious actually to pay money for the Telegraph, so I'll have to take your word for what he was said to have said. I don't know about pensions, but in relation to health care what you quote seems entirely accurate, and I don't see how any amount of litigation could change it. Though if we're lucky some successor arrangement might be negotiated.
I don't think we should rely on luck. Perhaps someone with political contacts could be persuaded to do some lobbying on behalf of the 1.26 million British ex pats living in the EU?
Any ideas?

There are about 3 million EU ex pats living in the UK so possibly some reciprocal arrangement can be made.

Russell.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

That would be the same paper that detected a "Labour coup to block Brexit". Labour who?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:
martyn94 wrote:

There are about 3 million EU ex pats living in the UK so possibly some reciprocal arrangement can be made.

Russell.
It's not really about reciprocity, as I understand it, at least for over-65s: the UK gets billed for our care, and the question is essentially a UK domestic one: will they be prepared to go on paying? Since the arrangements apply to the EEA, and not just to the EU, there may be grounds for hope, but I am not holding my breath.