Lots of Irish around here?

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Lots of Irish around here?

Post by martyn94 »

A question which doesn't expect a very scientific answer. I've noticed - or think I've noticed - a higher proportion of Irish people around here than you might expect from their share in the population of anglophones in NW Europe. It may be my imagination, but if not you can imagine how it might happen by recommendation, family ties... (I used to spend time at a place in the Var where the next-door village was populated almost entirely by Swedes).

But is it true?
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Most places I've been around the world I have met a disproportional number of Irish people, I think it has to do with the propensity of Irish people to travel.
For example the Irish represent the second highest ethnic group in the United States which is massively disproportional, the percentage in the UK and Australia is also very high.
That being said, I have not met that many Irish people in the Perpignan area.
Davidsimon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Davidsimon »

We are trying to spread our culture far and wide :D
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

There do seem to be a lot of Irish around. Most of those I have met have French spouses. There were a lot of Irishmen working on the TGV tunnel and I'm told many of them bought places down here.

Mary
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

The Irish Diaspora. I blame the rain.
:D
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

Irish in P.O.

Post by monsans »

Maybe we ought to have a get-together - in a pub of course - and then we can say here how many turned up!!