Moving back to the UK

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Moving back to the UK

Post by martyn94 »

I've noticed that some members are selling up and moving back to the UK. I guess that this happens all the time, for all sorts of reasons. It would be interesting to know why, from anyone who can share their experience without getting more personal than they feel comfortable with.

Was it just a mistake to be here, or circs have changed, or cd you have done things differently, in retrospect, and stayed?

In the interests of full(ish) disclosure, my own boats are pretty well burnt: I wouldn't know where to go if I did return, and probably couldn't afford anywhere I might like. But I'm still interested to know what makes for greater or less contentment here.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

We have some aquaintances who are just preparing to return to Scotland, after nearly 20 years here. They gave two reasons: one was the language which he had never managed to progress past absolute basics, (she speaks enough to get by, but gets very stressed) and the other is that they used to be real party animals and love the sitting outside on an eve smoking and drinking til the early hours, but they have both stopped smoking and drinking is no fun anymore because of hangovers!! :lol:
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I've seen a lot of friends, acquaintances and customers move back to the UK in the last 2 years. Off the top of my head I'd say the reasons have been:

Education of children of secondary school age.
To be closer to family
Better employment/earning opportunities
Businesses either failing or not getting off the ground
Missing the social culture of Britain
Terminal health problems
Just time for a change

I've come to the conclusion that the PO is not necessarily a permanent destination for British ex-pats.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
spj
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by spj »

I have lived here for 23 years and seen lots of changes, some good - lots bad. France isn't the same place it was when I first came here - if I arrived now I wouldn't stay.
I think santiago hit the nail on the head. I have had a business here for 20 of those years and many times I have thought about giving up and moving on, the taxes here for anyone in business are absolutley cripplling and the cost of living has risen dramatically.
But this is our home, both my children were brought up and educated here one has moved to the UK for work (better opportunities and money) and the other one works here.
I think a lot of people come here to live their dream but it's not a dream it is just another place to live and work but with the advantage of the sun.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Thanks for all this, and please keep coming.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

This is not exactly a new topic. I'm sure I've said it before but I'll repeat myself for the benefit of newcomers.

In my long experience there is a common underlying factor that motivates couples to return "home". It's simply that one of them never bought into the idea of moving here in the first place! This festers away and, eventually, the other party gives in and they pack their bags and leave.

Oddly enough I know of at least two couples who left and have reappeared. What you might call victims of the "grass is always greener" syndrome.

Mary
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Some come to france with kids thinking that they will find work easily, they usually have sold in uk so have a budget to live on for a while. They then start to realise that they are not going to find work and that being self employed here is not the same as uk. They then have to make the difficult decision of whether to carry on or go back. The older generation i think they suddenly start thinking about what will happen if they have to go into a home , for those who do not speak the language a french old peoples home can be pretty daunting. A lot of them still love living here but have to think of these things. There is also the grandchildren factor.
There are many that go back but there are also many coming to france to live their dream.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Merisin wrote:This is not exactly a new topic. I'm sure I've said it before but I'll repeat myself for the benefit of newcomers.

In my long experience there is a common underlying factor that motivates couples to return "home". It's simply that one of them never bought into the idea of moving here in the first place! This festers away and, eventually, the other party gives in and they pack their bags and leave.

Oddly enough I know of at least two couples who left and have reappeared. What you might call victims of the "grass is always greener" syndrome.

Mary
I'm sure that's so. It's worse when the "bought-in" partner dies and the surviving partner is left high and dry. Just to cheer you all up.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

tia wrote: There are many that go back but there are also many coming to france to live their dream.
I've known of quite a few people who've gone back and in many cases it's the 'living the dream' thing that's been the culprit!

I've been here since 2007, love living in France (warts and all), made a conscious choice to be here (made it 40 years ago - it just took longer than I expected :D ), have spent time in France every year since I was 16 and came here with eyes wide open. I'm certainly not and never wanted to 'live the dream' - life here certainly ain't a rose-tinted one - I'm just living a different life to the one I'd be living elsewhere. Not better, nor worse ... just different.

We have some interesting conversations round our maison d'hôtes dinner table with British guests who think life here must be a constant bowl of cherries ... :roll: Some of them even come thinking they might move over themselves, but by the time we've talked about cultural differences, bureaucracy, the difficulty of being self-employed, cotisations, the fact that yes, you really do need to speak French to make a life here, and all the rest, they slowly come to see that their grass might not necessarily be greener just because they've crossed the channel! If I can stop yet another 'Place In The Sun' disaster from happening then I'm happy ... :wink:
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

A sort of postscript suggested by my OH and, maybe unfortunately, true.

They have been coming to France on vacation for decades. When they had a bit of cash they bought a place in the sun. The word went out. They would retire to France. If you meet them today they'll tell you that they live in France. But they don't. What they do is spend a few months of the year over here. When push came to shove they lacked the nerve to actual realise their dream. But now they just can't admit it.

Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all?

Mary