Old boars

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Old boars

Post by Pearsonb »

I very nearly hit two extremely large wild boars that ran in front of my car this morning. Made me wonder what I should do with bodies of such roadkill.. Do you just leave it? Report it? Eat it?

Pearsom
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

If you hit one, the chances are that it will survive and run off as they are very tough and probably die later if it is badly wounded.

If you hit one and kill it you should report it to the police and either ask them to get someone to collect it or take it home and eat it. It is very important to report it if you are taking it home as you can be prosecuted for poaching if you are found with a dead boar in your vehicle without a validated permis de chasse and a good story and have not informed the authorities!

Last year a monster 240 kilo boar was hit by a lorry in La Jonquera, wrote it off and ran off and was found dead later. This is exceptional, they don't usually exceed 150 kilos around here.
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

One further thing I should mention, if you are going to eat boar from this area it should be frozen for a minimum of 6 months and well cooked, as they can be infected with some quite nasty parasites.

If you are a meat eater it is delicious!