What's on Telly?

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

What's on Telly?

Post by Merisin »

Over the last couple of months we've spent a huge amount of space discussing how to watch TV. But not a dicky bird about what is is we're wanting to watch.

We reckon we've got it cracked. But then maybe that's because we have particular interests. Neither of us go a bundle on sport. We get all the current affairs that we need from a mix of BBC radio and French TV. Nature programmes fascinate us. But ARTE fills the need. What French TV can't provide is decent drama. Just now the Beeb are delivering some good output. Quirke, From there to here and Hinterland spring to mind. Not to forget Happy Valley There's quite a lot of programmes on BBC Four that we watch too. Anything with Mary Beard, Lucy Worsley or Michael Moseley for starters. Oh, must not forget HIGNFY.

The big plus with the Beeb is that most of their stuff is available in HD. We like to watch TV on a big screen and decent sound. Didn't really apply though to Jamaica Inn!

ITV have some cracking drama too. We liked Vera and Prey. Not too keen on quizzes, talent shows and games shows though. As for the footie.....

So that's it. We watch a bit less but we're more choosy. Probably fine for us but not everybody's cup of tea.

Mary
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

dont forget walander... happy valley is somewhat a misnomer. bloody unhappy in my opinion but is a gripping drama.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

montgolfiere wrote:dont forget walander... happy valley is somewhat a misnomer. bloody unhappy in my opinion but is a gripping drama.
How could I miss Wallander? Latest episode downloading at this very moment! But I think it's reached the end of the road. Agree 100% about (Un)Happy Valley!

Mary
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Quizes for me, no idea who or what walander is or the other programes mentioned, I assume they are period drama, mary berry cookery? Maybe if I was flicking through for something to watch.
Saturday tv in any language is the pits for me.
I have admit I love Have I got news for you, Celebrity juice and room 101.

Unfotunatly youngest loves the programe on E4 now, Hollyoaks.....but I supose I must have watched its equivalent rubbish when I was 16.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Wallander, Sat Night 9.00(UK time) BBC 4.
Subtitled.... Series 3.
3 more episodes then the end......
Very good stories.....
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

Funny that. I got the impression that there was a load of people out there desperate to continue watching UK TV at almost any price. So if they were that keen they'd have their likes and dislikes and would want to talk about them with a wider audience. Seems that's not the case. Pity.

Mary
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

Your list was pretty good. Vera, particularly, was wonderfully acted.

Two quizzes I love are Only Connect and University Challenge.

Pearson
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

Merisin wrote:Funny that. I got the impression that there was a load of people out there desperate to continue watching UK TV at almost any price. So if they were that keen they'd have their likes and dislikes and would want to talk about them with a wider audience. Seems that's not the case. Pity.

Mary
They are all too busy watching telly , I'm writing this during the adds! :lol: :lol: :lol:
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

ads???….I'm writing this during the buffering :lol:
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

sue and paul wrote:ads???….I'm writing this during the buffering :lol:
You can get rid of both ads and buffering if you pay the 99€ to Filmon.

Now, I don't have to accept ads and buffering and I can now keep my siesta without any disturbents.

(The payment of the 99€ makes a big difference with filmon. The only thing I'm missing is the BBC i-player. I'm too lazy make mine work yet and now I might have to pay for this too.)

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

blackduff wrote:The only thing I'm missing is the BBC i-player. I'm too lazy make mine work yet and now I might have to pay for this too.)
If you're paying a Filmon subscription you can record any programs you want and watch them later so there is not so much need for iPlayer. The quality of programs recorded on Filmon is usually much better than iPlayer.

Russell.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Merisin wrote:Funny that. I got the impression that there was a load of people out there desperate to continue watching UK TV at almost any price. So if they were that keen they'd have their likes and dislikes and would want to talk about them with a wider audience. Seems that's not the case. Pity.

Mary
QI, Have I Got News For You, Eggheads, University Challenge, Countryfile, Antiques Road Show. Oh and a while ago Crackernory on Dave.

Russell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I don't suffer any 'ads' on my Android IPTV System, stream in HD and have minimal Buffering even with a measly 2mb.Download speed. This is FTA, no subscription to anyone.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

russell wrote:
blackduff wrote:The only thing I'm missing is the BBC i-player. I'm too lazy make mine work yet and now I might have to pay for this too.)
If you're paying a Filmon subscription you can record any programs you want and watch them later so there is not so much need for iPlayer. The quality of programs recorded on Filmon is usually much better than iPlayer.Russell.
Mostly I would like some of the food repeats. Ching he Huang is an example. She had some programs on the BBC previous and then it was only seen on iplayer. James Martin is another cook which I like to view. Michela Ciappa (sp?) is an Italian/Welsh cook and some of her programs were on BBC 2. I thought that it was on iplayer.

Mozilla and Media Hint was a trick to get to iplayer but somebody said it's expecting money. What a bummer.

Maybe I should give a chance myself.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
CarolineN
Rank 3
Rank 3

tv

Post by CarolineN »

thought I would share what we use

www.netdream.tv

a small black box which connects to your wifi box and your tv via simple cables

It is excellent - all the tv channels no buffering and 7 day catch up

small subscription per month, but worth it
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Mary
Every one's experience will vary, but I find that increasing time away from the UK, and decreasing contact with friends or family who still watch it regularly there, automatically reduce your viewing. You just don't get those "water-cooler" moments when someone says, eg, "did you see that great new show "Mad Men" last night?".

Even in the UK, I never much bothered, partly from taste but mostly from prior commitments, with anything where you needed to watch more-or-less every episode to follow the plot lines or learn the characters. Nor with sports, except for rugby when it was still played by humans.

Which cuts out a lot, though I would be a taker for Bilko if they cared to do a re-re-re-run (as probably somebody is doing if I could be arsed to find it).

Many years ago, one of the TV critics had a theory that VCR recorders were not really to let you see programmes that you would otherwise have missed, but to stop you regretting not watching programmes: you recorded it and never got round to playing it back, but by the time you taped over it you no longer cared.

That was dead right for me with VCR, and mostly right for the odd occasions I have downloaded from iplayer: even if I start watching I rarely get to the end. And I think it mostly right in a more general way for my limited desire to keep access to UK tv: I watch little enough, but it's nice to know it's there if I had the flu or broke a leg.