Catalan cookery book

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Catalan cookery book

Post by martyn94 »

I was set thinking by a post elsewhere (seeking books to provide for prospective tenants): is there a decent book giving an overview of Catalan dishes in one volume? I have a not very good glossy pamphlet from the local maison de la presse, and allegedly-Catalan recipes in a couple of books covering all of Spain, but nothing quite hits the spot. I can cope with English or French, or I guess that I could wrestle with Catalan if I had to.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Try " Discovering the Cookery of South-West France" by Francine Claustres. Editions Sud Ouest. ISBN 2.87901.554.5 There is an English and a French version. I think I bought it from the press shop at Rivesaltes airport. It's not really Catalan cookery, I know, but there are some nice recipes in it
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Dylan
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Thanks. I dimly remember coming across this and being put off by the pounds and ounces and the mad US practice of measuring by cups. But if it is the best (only?) one around, I guess I have to put up with that.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

If you can get past the pounds and ounces and other Americanisms, the Colman Andrews book is really good. Apart from the recipes, he writes some interesting stuff on key ingredients of Catalan cookery and also (in a list of recommended restaurants, presumably much out of date) introduced us to the Hotel Empordan in Figueras, where we have had many excellent meals.