Kitchens etc

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Kitchens etc

Post by martyn94 »

Can you get software to sign up new identities and post junk like this without human intervention, or does the poor sap do it all by hand? If the latter, I almost wish he'd continue: the waste of my time seems a small price to pay for the rather larger waste of his. If the former, can it not be blocked: I cannot recall such junk on other sites?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

It Is a total pain Martyn and I sometimes spend up to an hour a day deleting both the posts and the memberships.

We have tried having more specific PO based questions, needing some knowledge of the region, and that worked quite well except that I received several mails from people who couldn't register cos thet didn't know the answers.

I'm sure there is a way to prevent it, but a) I am someone technically challenged in that I know what I know, but no more (if you see what I mean) and b) I run the forum and site pretty well alone (say ahhhh.....but I love it) so time is a factor as much as a small brain. Any help/ suggestions always gratefully accepted.
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

Before My eyes started to go, I used to be one of the moderators on the largest Internet Marketing forum, the Warriors. I could easily spend several hours a guy clearing out the junk, the spam and the hate stuff. No easy way of stopping these posts.

At least we know a kitchen post is not worth looking at :-)

Pearson
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

The sales will be on soon, the bathroom salesmen will be along!

Like previous posters , the headline and unknown poster (or known under another pseudonym) stops me even looking at their unmissable bargains.

Gives them something to pass their time I suppose, personally I prefer a good book or a walk.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Kate

Don't stress too much. We can suffer it.

BUT

If anybody has a geek in the family is there any way we could mount a reverse attack?

J
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Owens88 wrote: If anybody has a geek in the family is there any way we could mount a reverse attack?
I haven't bothered to look at one of their posts lately. Do they give an email address that could be clogged up with lots of messages telling them to desist?

Russell.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

The only reason I opened this one about kitchens was because I recognised the poster.......the others I open profile first, then direct away from it, let's just hope they are not giving kitchens away in UK and offering free delivery and fitting :lol:
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I see our newest member has stated their websie as www.fittedkitchenstelford1@co.uk......boring get a life!
Debeneur.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Received by email

I have a grand plan to solve your troublesome kitchen vendor. It’s an adaption of a scheme used successfully by someone in the UK to deter Cold Calling on his phone. Place a notice on the forum stating that commercial vendors are welcome to place adverts on the site without asking permission but by doing so they agree to pay an advertising fee of £1000 per advert. They won’t notice and will continue to post adverts so you can send them a bill. They won’t pay initially of course but you (or a volunteer from the forum) can pursue them until they pay. There are plenty of debt collection agencies that will do it on a no-fee basis. All proceeds to the animal sanctuary perhaps?

You could perhaps post this on the forum as “Received by email” and see what the consensus is.

Oh, and if you search for “Display Kitchens For Sale Burnley” on Google you will see they post on all sorts of forums. It’s not to attract customers from the forums but to improve the Google hit rate for their site. Any link to them from a well-respected site like yours gets them higher up the Google page ranking.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Ooh I like it. :twisted: :evil:
Dylan
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

I like it too...

Also send them an email explaining that if they continue you and all the forum members who are annoyed by this type of harassment will complain to Google, I know a few web developers and they would not like the idea of potentially 10`s or 100`s of complaints all from different email addresses and scattered all over Europe arriving at Google.
Raissaaa

Try something else

Post by Raissaaa »

I have an idea ,

If you bored to delete their post and there account ,
why if you not to try to make a forum for them with tittle " for spam " or " spam paradise " or what ever , I'm sure they will not disturbing your other forums , you'll be comfort , they will comfort , and your forum page rank will be up ... :D :D

cheers ,

Raisa
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks for the suggestion....but why would I want a section for spam? This is a small local forum, set up for advise and help. It was not created to make profit or to boost page ranks.....all that happens when you spammers come on the site and batter us with your unwanted adverts, is that you irritate and put people's backs up, give me loads more work to do, as I have to keep an eye out 24/7 so my home page doesn’t fill up with kitchen ads, and ensure that, even if I wanted a new kitchen, I would never go anywhere near pushy and thoughtless companies like yourselves. :roll:
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Oooh Miss, that should frighten them. ;)
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr- I'm well feisty! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

You Yorkshire terrier you :lol:
Debeneur.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Double grrrrrrrrr. Next thing I know, I'll be growing as big as 5ft tall!! :lol:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

You can buy your kitchen from king jouet :oops:
Debeneur.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I have a little stool thank you very much! :lol: :lol: :oops:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Try prunes or bran :wink:
Debeneur.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

opas wrote:You can buy your ***THIS-POST-IS-SPAM*** from king jouet :oops:
Why is this apearing on my posts?

The wording in capitals has appeared on a post about uk paint in france too......

I know I post a lot of crap, but it is worrying that somone can hack intp my posts!
Debeneur.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

No, it's not you Deb. We're trying different strategies to stop these idiots posting their irritating kitchen ads, and one was to ban the word kitchen. Maybe not the cleverest idea but you have to try these things! :lol: Didn't realise it would affect past posts. Clever things these computers. :shock:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Well I have been banned for some things :D , but using naughty words

:oops:
Debeneur.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Ha ha! Kitchen is a naughty word on this forum!!!
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

I think the Moderators have been very high handed in banning the kitchen adverts.....after all i bought one from dxz~#p in Newcastle or was it ghjkll in Sheffield for 99€ and it even came with a young Swedish Au Pair to make my breakfast every morning
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

:lol: :lol:
Young Swedish Au Pair now banned too!!!!
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

As youre the boss, i told her she had to go......anyway she was woeful at doing a fry-up
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Kate,

Some of the forums I belong to require the membership to be approved by the forum owner before the first post can be made. Is this a possibility with your forum software?

Russell.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Yes, I think it is Russell. Will have to look into it. Trying desperately to get next PO Life out on time at mo, so it will have to wait but thanks for that - definitely worth checking. Having said that, dont want to speak too soon, but a friend has been looking for solutions and it does seem to have improved so....les doigts croisés!!