A proper test

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

A proper test

Post by Owens88 »

Not a quiz this time. For info only.

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/test/

For those blocked from the BBC news there is deep soul searching (i.e. 'finger-pointing' ) going on about the fact that England fell out of the top tier on a world-wide test of core skills (above Wales but below Ireland).

This example test gives the answers and explains what is being tested.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

The most interesting part for me was that England and France ended up with similar scores in spite of the differences in teaching approach.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

The Pisa tests, and the thinking behind them are good for general applicability of the subject. Learning can be achieved in many ways, even sans teachers, so the supposed differences between teaching methods may be illusory.

The most interesting part of the 'aftermath' on TV in the UK has been an interview with a teacher who was part of a team of educationalists who went to China to investigate their success over there.

It wasn't, just, down to cramming or attitude but there teachers have time between lessons (to work not 'down time') and are encouraged to be collaborative in order to keep on helping individual students improve. Professional norms eh?

I have been in UK businesses and been a teacher. I have never seen a less collaborative profession than teaching in the UK (though I haven't worked in the NHS).
I also note that the structure of the teaching week / year in the UK has less to do with learning, or even use of expensive resources, than the 'norms' expected by UK teachers.

Rant over. Sorry.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands