Riposte

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Riposte

Post by Merisin »

I really dont know why you live in France Mary there seems to be so little you like about the country, its culture and the people who live here.

When I read this I saw red. How dare she say such a thing? My immediate reaction was to hit the keyboard and reply. But I calmed down and decided to turn the other cheek. On thinking about it why should I stay silent and say nothing. What about the right to reply?

So here I am. Now breathing normally.

First and foremost I have some French blood in my veins. So, in a way, France was always home. I've lived here permanently for quite some time and own several properties to boot. You might say I read the book, saw the video and bought the T-Shirt! I have French friends, join in local activities, vote, pay my taxes, read the papers and watch TV. Just like your average Joe. Like your average Joe (or should I say Jacques) I have real concerns about the way things are going down here. As you will no doubt know this department has a huge population of internal immigrants. People from other parts of France who are living here for the same reasons as you and I. There is a difference and you notice it when you mix with them. They say what they think and have a critical view of the local and national scene.

I've tried to make some positive points on here but can't seem to get very far. I can only assume that I'm coming at life down here from a different angle to the contributors to this forum.

We were at a BBQ last Saturday in Banyuls so we could eat, drink and watch the feu d'artifice. The only Brits in that motley throng and I'd guess it was the conversations I heard there that drove my comments. They were concerned, among other things, about the way their taxes are squandered, the small minded nature of some mayors and the communes they represent, the general level of unreliability of so many artisans.

I live here by choice and love my adopted country. I feel like I have come home. But I'm not blind, deaf and dumb!

Mary
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I love living here too Mary. I have no french blood but still love the area and France as a whole and have done since we first holidayed here many years ago. I am sorry if I misread you but your posts are usually of the complaining nature. My neighbours (all french) are wonderful and we all live as one big family each helping the other. I too pay my taxes. I have no moans about the running of things in Argeles area and as for artisans we have never been let down by one. Indeed we even find that EDF turn up on the day and time agreed. The only people I could moan about are the delivery drivers from out of the area who cant be bothered to look up and down our road at post boxes for our name (none of the properties are numbered). They ring and I usually end up meeting the at Weldoms or sport 2000. No complaints here from this Brit.
Dylan
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I live in 2 places in France. Where I am now (in the Seine-maritime) the local services -such as I use- are negligeable:the roads are wrecked and "repaired" with a couple of spade's worth of tar that lasts about a fortnight. But the maire is a nice guy, and my neighbour, and the impôts locaux are the square root of nothing.

In Port-Vendres the taxes are fifteen times higher, and the commune tries almost too hard, at least in July and August: I never thought I would live anywhere with a municipal froth machine (for the soirées mousses). But they try, and it keeps you a bit younger than you might otherwise be. And people are friendly and kind, as everywhere.