Putting our photos on postings and anonymity

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Putting our photos on postings and anonymity

Post by Allan »

I started a new thread on this subject since the Gay Marriage thread doesn't seem an appropriate place for it.

I have a lot of experience of Internet sites and caution against putting photos or other personal information there. A number of my customers have insisted on putting staff photos on their sites but when you analyse which pages have been viewed then it is always the photos of female staff that are viewed the most and it leaves them open to unwanted personal comments.

Anonymity is a 2 edged sword, it keeps people safe but also let's the wierdos and miscreants say what they like.

Surely, the answer is to maintain a degree of anonymity as far as posting is concerned but not at the administrative level. The forum could be open to everyone to read but users would need to be registered in order to post or pm.

I know this would be more hassle for Kate but if it got rid of the trolling and abuse then it might make life easier in the long term.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

The forum could be open to everyone to read but users would need to be registered in order to post or pm
That is in fact the present situation Allan. Anybody can read but only registered members can post, use the PM system etc. I totally agree with you that photos would be a bad idea (Malcolm is savvy and I'm sure he meant 'in an ideal world...') but of course even that wouldnt prevent people from posting a false photo. Think we just have to put up with it, remember that most people use the forum positively and have passed on bucketloads of good advice, tips, made friends, helped and been helped.

Personally, I have accepted now that the forum will never be perfect, will never suit everyone... but thanks to its members is nevertheless a useful source of info and has helped many people in the past so we must be getting something right :lol: :lol:
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I agree. It's never going to be perfect.

A lot of the upset in the past here was done using anonymous (and multiple) usernames. However, many of the long-running members who have never been accused of breaking rules use pseudonyms.

Own-name policy seems to work elsewhere. It's probably difficult to change.

One thing that I see working well is a whistle-blower policy. Rather than expecting the moderators to make decisions whenever they read something contentious, wait until members blow the whistle on a post. I know a number of people have got upset over their their comments being moderated too soon.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I do see your point Jon, but different people have different standards and tolerance level. What is acceptable to one is not acceptable to another. Many people prefer to keep their heads down and not complain - rather log off and keep out of it.

I am only joining in this discussion now because I no longer moderate. Two very good mods keep an eye on the forum so that I can simply be a member, as I hated all the flack that I was getting over my decisions, sometimes right, sometimes wrong, but usually prompted by requests from members, to cut off threads that were becoming contentious.