Trouble abroad

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Trouble abroad

Post by opas »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... highlights

Did anyone else see our famous vinogeek last night?
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

I watched both episodes with interest.

You have to give this couple credit for giving it a go, though it seems futile at times. I didn't realise that things were so bad for vineyards in the region.

I worked in the wine industry in the UK about 20 years ago, just when the French were losing the monopoly of wine sales around the world. In came New World wines from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, California etc. and so the competition started. We also imported very good cheap wines from the likes of Bulgaria and other Eastern European countries.

It was an interesting time and the value of French wines dropped considerably. It probably led to the downfall of Thresher wines and Victoria wines as they couldn't mark up their prices to the same extent as before - of course along with the supermarkets being able to bulk buy and sell cheap. Most restaurants would make their money not on the food they sold but the mark - up on the wine they sold with the meals. One of the restaurants we sold to would mark up by 500% - and it was always fully booked)

Wine was so expensive before then - I remember My Mum buying the kit from Boots to make wine at home, furmenting it in the airing cupboard which was in my bedroom!!

Fascinating programme though, and well done them to take the risks they did than be stuck back in somewhere like Slough or Luton, wondering .... what if :roll: l!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I've only seen the first episode which I didn't feel portrayed the characters in a particularly favourable light.

Don't believe everything you watch. These kind of programs often have an agenda and I wouldn't want people to think that everything is black for Roussillon wine producers.

It's a region that has attracted many winemakers, some very experienced, from all corners of the globe. Quite a few have achieved a lot of success. Look up Clos des Fees, Olivier Pithon, Matassa, Philippe Gard and Domaine de l'Horizon. Big names in the wine world have invested here like Chapoutier, Dave Phinney, Jean-Luc Thunevin and Pierre Gaillard.

In this case the producers called me about a year ago to explain the theme. I didn't fancy it and suggested they ask Corin as I knew he'd had a number of incidents and is pretty funny when telling a story.

The upside is that these programs usually lead to a business deal with a retailer keen to profit from the publicity. I hope it will be the case here too.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hope so too. Very best of luck Corin and Jayne. Hope things get on the up...and up....and up..... xxx
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

Sorry Santaigo, I can't understand why you where approached and declined? (I can understand not wanting to partake and be seen by 10million viewers) But why did you think it a good idea to recommend this couple be shown instead of yourself? I don't think it did them any favours to be seen in that light, particularly as they were struggling so much with the business.

What agenda could the programme have had to the benefit of this couple, it's not as if their wine lable was clearly shown on the programme and they gained free advertising.

You say ignore the hype and agenda of the programme and go on to list a number of successfull vineyards. It was made clear in the programme that many vineyards in the area had fallen by the wayside due to a number of understandable reasons.

I thought the programmes was realistic of those moving abroad and chancing their luck and i took it at face value.

Have I missed a trick??
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

The producers told me they wanted to tell the stories of people who were struggling, specifically at the hands of the authorities in their chosen country. I honestly could not tell such a story and I also did not really want publicity in that context.

I suggested they talk to Corin because of some funny stories Corin had told me but it was his choice to do the show or not.

Having now watched the program, I think Corin and, particularly, Jayne come across best of all the people they chose.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Jo-Anne wrote: You say ignore the hype and agenda of the programme and go on to list a number of successfull vineyards. It was made clear in the programme that many vineyards in the area had fallen by the wayside due to a number of understandable reasons.
Just to answer that question. The program was a snapshot of a few particular cases, who were chosen because things hadn't worked out as planned for them. I didn't think the program even touched on other vineyards falling by the wayside.

What has happened viticulturally in the Roussillon is that after WWII, vignerons moved away from Vin Doux to low-priced, easy-to-drink red wines, most of which were sold in Northern France for nice profits. The problem for the Roussillon growers was that their naturally low yields did not allow them to compete with more fertile parts of the Languedoc and labour costs made them less profitable than Spain first and then, in export markets, Chile and Australia.

This has mainly hit the Cave Cooperatives who focused on that end of the market. The prices being offered by the likes of supermarkets and low-end importers don't cover the production costs of the wine. Fewer funds mean corners get cut and quality suffers.

So what happened was some cooperateurs pulled out and went into stonefruits, some went independent and some sold their vineyards to newcomers. A few years ago the government started a scheme to pay growers to dig up their vines, hoping to balance the supply-demand. So these are the vineyards you see dug up or abandoned.

Meanwhile the growers who went independent created a name for themselves and attracted more newcomers, many of whom have been successful. Despite the lingering problems, I would still prefer to be a producer here than in Bordeaux.

Sorry it's rather a lengthy reply but difficult to explain in 1 sentence.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I was phoned out of the blue by Connexions newspaper, apparently Samantha David had seen a post or two of mine on a forum about my daughters schooling.
She wanted to know if it had been a possitive experience.
I suggested she phone back and speak with my eldest daughter and if she wanted to do the article that was fine with me.
We had a choice , the article was written .
I have been approached by others to do programes and declined....I am not photogenic :oops: plus I always feel that they are edited as the programe makers feel fit :roll:
Oh and this same daughter is now a mobile hairdresser in this area and cuts Jayne and Corrins hair :wink:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

Thanks Santiago for the post, it makes very interesting reading.

The history of wine growing in the region is certainly complex and it's a shame the programme couldn't highlight some of the facts you've raised so people could understand Jayne and Corrins experience and shed some light on the reasons they were struggling.

It was clear to me why the English Pup in Spain collapsed. Then again, the show had a target audience and was a "reality show".

Anyhow, I wish them well and hope the business picks up for them.
Debbie and Noel

Post by Debbie and Noel »

I have only just spotted this thread. I chose not to watch the programme so cannot comment on the content. But I will say that, in the media world, Bad News makes good TV. Just as Good News does not sell papers. Making positive programmes is far more demanding. Whereas "disaster" reportage virtually makes itself.

Noel
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

How true Noel.
Dylan
vinogeek
Rank 2
Rank 2

If the truth be known

Post by vinogeek »

Hello All

Thought you might like to know our version of the experience of 'Trouble Abroad'. When we were first contacted, very early in 2012, we were told that the working title was 'Brits Abroad' and that it was to highlight the bureaucracy that ex-pats have to wade through when starting up a business abroad. The production team had contacted many English businesses after viewing their websites.

We specifically said that we wouldn't be interested if they were only focusing on the bad times and after almost 6 weeks of deliberation and Skype discussions, we agreed to do the programme as, as the old adage goes, any publicity is good publicity! The filming took place in Spring 2012.

Late November we were given the broadcast date (18 December) but they still wouldn't tell us the name of the programme - even when asked directly. We were then advised of the re-arranged date, 11 jan, and were sent confirmation of the title 'Trouble Abroad'.

At this point, I have to admit, we were very worried & suspected a stitch up. However, even though the focus was on the difficulties that we've gone through, we feel that we came across well & it has certainly given our business a new year boost, which is all that we hoped for really.
What it didn't say though was that, yes times have been tough, but that has nothing to do with being in France. The first 3 years of any new business is difficult as many of you will understand, and we learnt lessons never to be repeated - but doing what we do beats being stuck in an office any day!
And, of course, the successful tour parties and restaurant sales weren't shown, even though filmed! You live and learn - thanks for all the kind comments sent.

Jayne & Corin
Domaine Vella Frontera, MAURY
Corin FAIRCHILD
Domaine Vella Frontera

www.vellafrontera.com
Port: +33 620 68 14 67
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Trouble abroad

Post by tubs »

We watched Trouble Abroad and thought you both came across really well. It's good to hear your side of the story, as with all these type of shows you have to read between the lines. Success and good fortune doesn't make for an interesting programme in the producers eyes!

Good luck to you and next time we're passing through Maury we'll pop in a buy a bottle or 6!
Any outlets in Perpignan selling your wines?
vinogeek
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by vinogeek »

Thanks Tubs, have pm'd you with merchants details in Perpignan
Corin FAIRCHILD
Domaine Vella Frontera

www.vellafrontera.com
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks so much for your post and glad to hear you are doing well. Just makes you wonder what else the media feed us which isnt true, the majority of it I would imagine.
Dylan
ruby
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ruby »

I watched it with interest, I do have a question : where was the picniq area you visited? and why did it show Riberach twice and you driving up that road its not really near you - did they fund the show in any way?

hope all goes well for everyone on here this 2013 ;-)
Ruby

Property Management, Holiday lets & Property Sales in Dept 66
www.lesjoursheureux66.com
vinogeek
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by vinogeek »

The picnic area was near Tuchan - the reason we had to go a little further afield was that the filming dates were changed at last minute & we had to bring tour appointments forward. The tour operator wasn't due to visit us until later in the month but asked that we provided the picnic for one of her Fitou tours instead, so that we could present our wines to her guests without them having to be in the bus for an age.

We were filmed at Riberach in Belesta as our wines are offered there, but I think because it was mainly French spoken, they took the easy option of showing our visit in Perpignan as Georges Guilhot speaks English.

I had hoped that they would show the Riberach visit as Patrick (the winemaker for those that don't know him) had us all in fits as he kept getting the giggles!

As I said in the previous post - they filmed us for just over 1 week in many locations & can edit any way they like to get an overall feel of the situation & geography.

There was no payment for doing the documentary - I understand that there are rules governing this sort of thing for all UK documentary-type shows.

Jayne
Corin FAIRCHILD
Domaine Vella Frontera

www.vellafrontera.com