An urgent call .......

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Why put anything in yoghurt, plain bifidus ones are lovely on their own.
Dylan
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

I meant instead of buying "fruit" yogs. Personally I prefer plain, but if people need a sweetener......which we've been brought up to do ("give a thirsty baby boiled water with a little sugar", my mum used to suggest), then home-made jam or squashed fruit is a darned site better than E 120

Helen
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I agree Helen but personally I hate anything sweetened, tea, coffee, cereal, cake, everything. So why am I very overweight and diabetic!
Dylan
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

That really is surprising!
WAIT !
Butter? Charcuterie?? Booze[/i]? ? ? :wink:

Helen[/b]
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Butter, yes 3 or 4 times a week, charcuterie, no, white wine 4 or 5 small glasses a week maximum. More likely lack of exercise!
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Sue wrote:Now now Opas it had a happy life before it was slaughtered. I wont buy eggs unless the hens have lived outside and wouldnt buy veal at all or the milk lamb. Then I become a traitor to the cause and by Lidl cheapo whole chickens but then my cents only spread so far.
Sue

I missed this post earlier but I want to ask why the veal is "bad". Within my village you can visit the veal being happy in the hills. Mom is still feeding their veal with her natural milk. When it's time to turn the veal into beef, it's sent to Italy and they serve the white veal.

The cowherder in Sorede is English too, so it's pretty well taken care of cows in the hills.

If you want to see if the veal are okay, go up the hills above Sorede and listen for the wooden bells.

There are quite a few herds of cows in the Pyrenees~some Spanish and othes which are French. So I think you can buy veal which was French reared, look for the Pyrenees mark.

My post is mostly toungue in cheek but it's true too.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Blackduff
..................I want to ask why the veal is "bad". Within my village you can visit the veal being happy in the hills. Mom is still feeding their veal with her natural milk. When it's time to turn the veal into beef, it's sent to Italy and they serve the white veal.

This is fine, BD, if the calf is slaughtered here, but the transport of animals, crammed into hot, airless trucks for hours on end (it's supposed to be 8 hours maximum, which sounds far too long to me....), not fed or watered, is imho unacceptable.
Helen
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Helen
I have no idea of what transportation is done by the Italians BUT maybe they were brought over to Italy via Ryanair, Business Class. Who really knows.

In any case, the veal have a good life here in the PO.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I dont think I would be happy with a life of a few weeks. For the same reason I wont buy the milk lamb.
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Try being parked up next to a load in the boiling hot sun ,and the driver has gone for his lunch!! Have never been to a slaughter house (have always refused to do this and always will), I have been to a place called ovi land. Lambs come in from romania and other eastern countries and are then fattened up to be sold here in france . They hardly see any daylight and have travelled thousand of miles before ending up on someones plate. The ones I went to pick up at least got to spend the summer up in the mountains (all of 2 months). I have taken sheep up into the mountains for the summer(they call this the transhumance) , have had lambs born in the lorry during the transport (saved a few as they often get squashed or the mother just forgets about them in her rush to get out of the lorry). It is a long enough journey just to get there (about two hours) so I dread to think what it is like to go to Italy. I was told you have to drive as fast as possible so the animals can get more air , if you drive slowly it is not good for them . If the animal lives in the mountains all the time I suppose it has a better life and probably gives a better meat if killed in a slaughter house nearby.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Back to subject, sorry folks.

Another call today. Due to the heat, could I supply extra fans, a quick call to the owner and problem soon sorted by me driving to Perpignan to supply a fan.

One delighted holiday maker!
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

To be honest, Opas, that's just bad planning. It always gets really hot in the summer and any accommodation without enough fans is going to be unbearable to most Northern Europeans.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

tia wrote:Try being parked up next to a load in the boiling hot sun ,and the driver has gone for his lunch!! Have never been to a slaughter house (have always refused to do this and always will), I have been to a place called ovi land. Lambs come in from romania and other eastern countries and are then fattened up to be sold here in france . They hardly see any daylight and have travelled thousand of miles before ending up on someones plate. The ones I went to pick up at least got to spend the summer up in the mountains (all of 2 months). I have taken sheep up into the mountains for the summer(they call this the transhumance) , have had lambs born in the lorry during the transport (saved a few as they often get squashed or the mother just forgets about them in her rush to get out of the lorry). It is a long enough journey just to get there (about two hours) so I dread to think what it is like to go to Italy. I was told you have to drive as fast as possible so the animals can get more air , if you drive slowly it is not good for them . If the animal lives in the mountains all the time I suppose it has a better life and probably gives a better meat if killed in a slaughter house nearby.
This is heartbreaking to hear, if you have any feelings at all. The body of an animal that has suffered and been terrified at slaughter is full of toxins: another word for toxins is poison...and that's what is eaten!
Helen
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Santiago wrote:To be honest, Opas, that's just bad planning. It always gets really hot in the summer and any accommodation without enough fans is going to be unbearable to most Northern Europeans.
I agree, I only do the changeovers . The owner calls the shots.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.