What's great about where you live?

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

What's great about where you live?

Post by malcolmcooper »

I though it would be fun to start a thread about what we love about the places we live in and interesting for both visitors and residents.

We live in Laroque by mistake. When we came to the area we had just two suitable houses to look at for a long term winter let. One was in Ceret. It was a nice house but a bit isolated with kids and had a graveyard view. The other was in a place called Laroque des Alberes. That was it, Hobson's choice really. What a lucky family we are though.

This thread needn't just about "partying" but eating and drinking are favourite pastimes of ours so please forgive our very personal view of where we live. I'm sure others will love the places where they live for their personal reasons too.

As you drive into the village you can't miss the Cafe des Aristes with its large and sunny prominent terrace. The inside has been refurbished and extended this year and is comfortable with a great atmosphere. The owners, Fearghal & Mel are fun and friendly, the service excellent with a good menu. Even the coffee is great, they serve Illy. You can have the best pint of Guinness for miles or a pint bottle of Magners cider poured over ice. Instant refreshment on a balmy summer evening. Child friendly too with plenty of adjacent parking.

Just across the street is the Michelin starred Les Palmier. OK, it's for (very) special occasions perhaps but wow! what a dining experience it is. I can't say more than that, if you can try you'll be blown away but do take a look at the menu outside first.

Turn the corner and within a few metres there is Chez Claude. A true wine bar with a touch of class. Forget the PMU sports bars, Chez Claude and Claude himself serves beer and wine in a cool atmosphere with good music. Snack on pain con tomate avec Serrano & Manchego outside on the small but chatty terrace.

For something new walk up the street to the Place du Republic to discover the newly refurbished Catalan Bar. Here is the only full licence in the village so if a Gin & Tonic takes your fancy for appero that's fine. There's a full menu to enjoy and a lovely range of Tapas too in traditional surroundings. Recently re-opened and doing a great job.

Hang on, this is a small village, can there be more? Oh yes, just around the corner from the Catalan is La Cueva. IMHO one of the best restaurants I've ever had the pleasure to eat in. It doesn't set out to be cheap but the food is exquisite and the service both friendly and efficient.

What a place, well worth a fresh look if you haven't been for a while.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

A good pint of Guinness you say Malcolm, thats very interesting and even more appealing. Its the only foodstuff that i miss from Ireland. Malcolm do you know if the Guinness is the instant variety or is it like a well pulled pint left to rest on the hob while the head settles. Im making myself very thirsty writing this.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

I there was a 'like' button I would have pressed it for this. Especially the Guinness.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

like a well pulled pint left to rest on the hob while the head settles
Fearghal is very proud indeed of his Guinness and it's served perfectly. Some things are worth waiting for.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

That sounds great,I'm currently in the land of great Guinness but I expect to be back in Canet Plage for a few days at the end of August,I must try to visit Laroque and have a significant sample !!
victor2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by victor2 »

Malcolm,

Your village sounds great! We are selling our property in Poussan (north of Sete) and looking for a place in the P-O. I also researched it and confirmed that Laroque might just be the place. You certainly made a fantastic "mistake!"

So, my question, any suggestions about how to go about finding an older house with about 1,000 M2 of land there?

Michal

Posted: Fri 05 Aug 2011 12:15 Post subject: What's great about where you live?
I though it would be fun to start a thread about what we love about the places we live in and interesting for both visitors and residents.

We live in Laroque by mistake. When we came to the area we had just two suitable houses to look at for a long term winter let. One was in Ceret. It was a nice house but a bit isolated with kids and had a graveyard view. The other was in a place called Laroque des Alberes. That was it, Hobson's choice really. What a lucky family we are though.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Hi, yea sure. Give Lydia a call here http://www.maisonfrancodanoise.com/acce ... e=contacta

Lydia mobile: 06 80 57 81 70.

Good luck,

Malcolm
Malcolm Cooper

victor2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by victor2 »

Malcolm,

Thank you. We will contact Lynda.

Michal
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

victor2 wrote:Malcolm,

Thank you. We will contact Lynda.

Michal
Probably you're going to calling the wrong person. Lydia is the girl that Malcolm's post wrote.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.