Living in 2021

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Living in 2021

Post by Gus Morris »

May I share a thought on here?

Once upon a time this forum was quite lively. Discussions on all sorts of subjects as well as people looking for advice.

Over the past couple of years our lives have changed. For some of us it has meant dealing with the double whammy of Covid and Brexit.How have you managed to cope with all the changes. What lessons have you learnt. Any interesting experiences you would care to share?

I have only recently been vaccinated. No, I'm not an anti-vaccinist. I just anwered yes to one of the questions in the pre-jab examination and that was it. "On yer bike sunshine". But with a bit of perseverance, and the help of a friendly GP, I eventually got it sorted. So now I am the proud owner of a valid Pass Sanitaire!

Gus
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Living in 2021

Post by Florence »

I was rather reluctant to have a jab because of various allergies. But after having a long discussion with my GP, we decided the J&J one would be best. So no allergic reaction, but I now also have that magic piece of paper.

Fortunately, apart from the drop in value of our UK pension, brexit has not had any effect on our lives.
alan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Living in 2021

Post by alan »

I turned 70 last October. At the beginning of 2020, my wife and I had a whole series of holidays and events planned. One by one, they fell away, although we were able to spend my actual birthday with my daughters and their families and with my stepson. Also, we were able to have a couple of “staycations” in Cornwall.

We have 4 grandchildren; the youngest was born on 11 April last year. We were in a childcare bubble with him, his elder brother and parents. We have felt privileged to spend so much of his first 18 months so involved in his care. My eldest grandson, lives with his younger brother and parents about 200 miles away. He began secondary school in September but during lock-down we regularly helped with schoolwork over Zoom. My stepson bought a house a year ago, a true “doer-upper”. We have helped throughout and he is now living happily in his first home.

So, all in all, 2020 and the first half of this year were not as we had planned but have nevertheless been extremely satisfying. We have been fortunate in maintaining good health and our various holidays and events are now resuming thanks to our Covid vaccinations. Our second home in Port Vendres did not suffer while we were unable to get there and Brexit has not been a particular problem.