British Television

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

British Television

Post by Lanark Lass »

I'm thinking of switching from a sky box to a freesat box to watch British TV (using the same satellite dish). Just wondering whether anyone has done this and was it successful? :?:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Yep,LL. We (along with several others) have done this very thing over the last few months and it's been a great success. The model to go for is a Humax Freesat HDR,which gets all your fave programmes plus HD and the digital recording facility. Highly recommended and costs just over 200 quid.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

British Tele

Post by Sue »

We changed at the same time as John and agree totally with his comments.
Dylan
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

British Television

Post by Lanark Lass »

Thanks for your replies.

Did you have to re-align your satellite dish?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

We were already on FTA system,LL,so obviously there was no need for us,but whether switching from Sky to FTA requires a realigning,I would not like to say.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: British Television

Post by Allan »

Lanark Lass wrote:Thanks for your replies.

Did you have to re-align your satellite dish?
It should be a straight replacement, just take the leads out of the Sky box and plug them into the Freesat box, There is no need to touch the dish.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi, we have sky, just wondered what is the difference between sky and the freesat ? we only have the fta programmes on sky , no monthly payment.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

tia wrote:Hi, we have sky, just wondered what is the difference between sky and the freesat ? we only have the fta programmes on sky , no monthly payment.
A few different channels
High definition broadcasts
The ability to record programs - a bit like Sky Plus
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

British Television

Post by Lanark Lass »

Thanks for that information.

One of the benefits we are looking for is being able to work with one remote rather than two which is a bit fiddly, especially when my mum comes to visit (over 90).
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: British Television

Post by Allan »

Lanark Lass wrote:Thanks for that information.

One of the benefits we are looking for is being able to work with one remote rather than two which is a bit fiddly, especially when my mum comes to visit (over 90).
Sky remote controls will control a tv as well as sky.

Why not search Amazon for big button remote controls
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

British Television

Post by Lanark Lass »

I'm afraid our Sky remote on its own doesn't do the trick. Don't know why but that's how it is.

I think we'll give the freesat option a go.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

weather forecast

Post by Sue »

I think it has to be tuned in with a code to the make of your tv.
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

thanks for the reply, is it like sky where you have to have an address in england ? wouldn't mind being able to record things ( my sky box only records if you pay a monthly subscription.) I'm not really up to date with all of this , just that I do like to watch english tv, never seems the same when it's been translated into french.
Lanarklass , do you live in northampton? I lived in that area and worked in northampton for various compagnies . Family live in kettering and irthlingborough.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

british tv

Post by Sue »

No Tia once you pay just over £200 for the Humax Fox Sat box you pay nothing more all programmes including HD are free. Type Humax Fox Sat into the internet and all the info will come up.
Dylan
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I've thought about this but would miss the documentaries on the various Discovery channels. Are they worth paying £24.50 a month though?

Russell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

you can get ALL the same FTA channels on a Skybox and a Freesat box. however some need adding manually on one or other systems....
For a Freesat HDR Box to work correctly you will need a 2 X LNB on your dish and 2 cables to your Freesat box.
A Genuine Sky Remote can be programmed to work your TV as well as the Receiver.
try googling for instructions & the correct code for your TV.
Please note Phillips TV's can be controlled by the Grey Sky Remote without any programming.
the skyman