'FREE PUBLIC WIFI' - What does it mean ?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

'FREE PUBLIC WIFI' - What does it mean ?

Post by rhys »

I do not currently have either 'phone or internet connection.

However, when I switch on the computer I get a message 'FREE PUBLIC WIFI - Available - waiting for Users'.

Yet another message states that the signal is very strong.

Then there is a box to click labelled 'Connect'. It appears to connect - however when I try to access a webpage I get the message 'Error 106 - no connection'.

There is no box popping up requiring codes or login or whatever - of course I haven't paid anything so why should I get a web connection ( albeit there are municipalities around the world now who do offer local access to internet - however Argel`es is not one of them ) ?
But why and how is the message there in the first place ?

A google search on google.fr comes up with similar questions posed by others in France - but no answer.

I am partly intrigued but also I wonder if there is some kind of way to subscribe and get access to the internet - without having to go through the phone connection palaver ?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

free public wifi

Post by Sue »

I have never used it but understand from friends there is free Wifi at McDonalds, Argeles and Carrefour's restaurant, Crescendo at Argeles.
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I think it is the word 'Free' that is confusing.

Free is the name of a French Internet supplier and I believe that Free Public Wifi is how their hotspots show up. Unfortunately I believe they are only for Free subscribers

Elsewhere you may come across SFR Public Wifi and Neuf Public Wifi , again these are restricted hotspots
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: 'FREE PUBLIC WIFI' - What does it mean ?

Post by russell »

rhys wrote: 'FREE PUBLIC WIFI - Available - waiting for Users'.
This is caused by a bug in Windows XP. If a computer tries to connect to WiFi and can't find a connection it rebroadcasts a signal which can be picked up by other computers. In some cases you could actually connect to that computer! The bug was fixed in service pack 3 but I guess someone near you is using a non updated version.

Most (all?) McDonalds have genuinely free WiFi. You don't even have to go in - just park in their car park!

The SFR and Neuf hotspots Allan refers to are part of the FON network. Anyone with a Neuf/SFR router can create a hotspot and then get free access to FON hotspots, ostensibly worldwide but I have only used it in France where there are 4 million hotspots.

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Yes Russell, you are quite right, Free hotspots ( as in the internet provider called Free ) show up as FreeWifi.

I'm not so sure you are right about Fon though.
In the UK BT has partnered very successfully with FON and when I go there I rarely have trouble using my FON account to get an internet connection.

SFR and Neuf have done a similar deal in France but seem to have kept it a secret.

As I understand it, SFR and Neuf internet subscribers get free access to SFR Neuf public Hotspots. In order to use FON, they have to opt in to the FON service. Their hotspots then will show up as SFR FON or Neuf FON.

Opting in doesn't appear to be widespread.

If any members of the Forum use SFR or Neuf Internet then I would be interested to know if they have opted in to FON, or indeed been asked to.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Allan wrote:As I understand it, SFR and Neuf internet subscribers get free access to SFR Neuf public Hotspots. In order to use FON, they have to opt in to the FON service. Their hotspots then will show up as SFR FON or Neuf FON.

If any members of the Forum use SFR or Neuf Internet then I would be interested to know if they have opted in to FON, or indeed been asked to.
Yes, I use Neuf/SFR and have opted in to FON. The SFR hotspots can be seen here: http://cartewifi.sfr.fr/. Since joining in March I have been able to connect in many places while travelling in our "camping car".

Russell.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

Assuming the consensus is correct that this is some sort of 'Hotspot' available ONLY to 'Free' subscribers:

1] why does the screen / succession of screens at no point require or suggest a code or whatever to gain access?
I would have thought that logically the screen/s should explain to people wishing to connect how they need to go about connecting.

2] why does the screen state, 'WAITING for USERS' ?

3] Can I subscribe in a way which would allow me to use this connection to the internet WITHOUT having a France Telecom fixed line 'phone ?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/th ... ts_not.php

My first answer was misleading, Russell is correct, it is a bug. Follow the above link for an explanation.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

russell wrote:
Allan wrote:As I understand it, SFR and Neuf internet subscribers get free access to SFR Neuf public Hotspots. In order to use FON, they have to opt in to the FON service. Their hotspots then will show up as SFR FON or Neuf FON.

Yes, I use Neuf/SFR and have opted in to FON. The SFR hotspots can be seen here: http://cartewifi.sfr.fr/. Since joining in March I have been able to connect in many places while travelling in our "camping car".

Russell.
Russell - just to be clear, I believe that as a Neuf/SFR subscriber, you can access their hotspots without opting in to Fon. Your Fon membership allows you to access Fon hotspots which show up with FON in their name, that is the case certainly in the UK.

Does your own hotspot show up with FON in the name?

I am a FON member (not via Neuf/sfr) but can't access the Neuf/SFR. Hotspots that don't have FON in the name.

Perhaps you can help clarify this
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Allan wrote: Russell - just to be clear, I believe that as a Neuf/SFR subscriber, you can access their hotspots without opting in to Fon. Your Fon membership allows you to access Fon hotspots which show up with FON in their name, that is the case certainly in the UK.

Does your own hotspot show up with FON in the name?

I am a FON member (not via Neuf/sfr) but can't access the Neuf/SFR. Hotspots that don't have FON in the name.

Perhaps you can help clarify this
My private access to my router shows up as NEUF_D550 while the FON access shows as SFR WiFi FON. Like you I can connect to any hotspot with FON in the name.

If I scan for networks at home I can pick up two other signals; NEUF_75C8 and SFR WiFi Public. These both have almost the same signal strength so I guess they both come from the same router. The NEUF one shows up as locked while the SFR one shows up as unlocked and I can connect to it.

Russell.
PS.
I have just had a play with my router and it gives three options for public access: Inactivated, SFR Community WiFi Network, and SFR & FON Community WiFi Network. If I set it to SFR only it identifies itself as
SFR WiFi Public. So your first paragraph is correct.