ADSL operators compared!

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

frank_penny
Rank 1
Rank 1

ADSL operators compared!

Post by frank_penny »

I am going through (another) problem period with Orange, and thought it might be useful to summarise some of my experiences here, to warn others, and to let off steam before I explode!

ADSL was brought into Caixas late last year, and Orange are the only possible providers - maybe because the line to Caixas is very "iffy" (according to an anonymous FT engineer).

Since getting ADSL the system works well - when it works. Line speed to my Orange Livebox 2 is currently an amazing 23 megabits per second (yes, that is not a mistake - download rate as I type is 23321 kb/s). Of course the actual speed of delivery varies depending on a host of factors, including other users on-line, web site speeds, etc, but very impressive - when it works.

The problem is the huge number of problems, and the poor response of Orange. There have been many losses of service since November; beginning with an engineer losing all connections by fitting a connection the wrong way round in the local armoire ; then some time later the doors of the armoire blowing open in the Tramontane and all the electronics being open to the elements for days.

Every incident meant days of lost Internet and telephone, with the Orange support desk (French and English) going through the same scripted routine (switch the box off, switch on, reset, etc, etc) at every single call.

I now use the English language Orange "support", not because they are better, but because the wait before being answered is usually less, and also, my technical English is considerably better than my technical French.

As I write, the whole of Caixas has been suffering incredibly slow Internet connection since Monday morning, but Orange insist they can see no problem on my line. It matters not at all that all problems began at the same time and show the same symptoms - sat at their desks, wherever they are, Orange support say the problem is not my line.

Yesterday afternoon, after being told to swap the Livebox for a new one (thereby losing the telephone until they re-activate it - still not done 48 hours later) I had a Level 2 engineer telling me via my mobile that there was no fault on my line, at the same time that I had the Orange web site on my computer saying that the internet connection for my telephone number was experiencing problems that would be resolved this morning. The support engineer could not see that this made me a trifle suspicious of whatever he was telling me.

As the problem has not been resolved in the timescale indicated on the Orange web site, I am of course suspicious of what the site tells me, as well.

I also have two SFR Neufboxes running at two different sites in the P-O; and the response of their support could not be more different! At least, it was on the very few occasions I have had recourse to their support - principally at installation.

For one location, Neuf installed the telephone line, as there was no previous FT telephone line in the apartment; some time later when the Neufbox failed, the fault was identified and a new box supplied without question.

So, in my experience, anyone given a choice between SFR Neuf and Orange should not hesitate to choose SFR.

Any other experiences?
ruby
Rank 2
Rank 2

sfr!

Post by ruby »

Hello!
we are with SFR, ....our internet struggles most days with simple emails etc but also it can be impossible to game online (playstation 3 network) we have rang them soooo many times, each time tests are taken / things checked our end and theirs ... we were thinking of moving to Orange !!! not so sure now.
We live in Cassagnes so understand that we pay more and have less but some days we receive less than 1 mega.
The funniest thing that happened yesterday was when i called to complain/get help the french guy asked where i was from and we then continued the conversation in English, following the call he text me on my mobile number from his personal mobile asking if i would like to get to know him better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i give up ............................any advice on how to increase our internet speed for online gaming gratefully received ..but no i would not like a date!! HAHAHA :lol: only in France!
Ruby

Property Management, Holiday lets & Property Sales in Dept 66
www.lesjoursheureux66.com
frank_penny
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frank_penny »

Just goes to show that one person's experience is not enough to form a judgement on!!