BBC in France ...

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

BBC in France ...

Post by mpprh »

I've had a query asking how to receive R4 (I think it is what was called the Home Service when Ilived in UK !) and World Service (English) in France.

The person concerned has no satellite TV or internet.

Anyone have details about short wave frequencies or any idea what digital radio is all about ?

I understand they have electricity !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Lostweekend
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lostweekend »

Hi
The BBC also has a very good guide to the best ways to listen in all the major cities in France. but try this for starters
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/progr ... sten.shtml
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

Tell them to subscribe to www.iportal.me It is 50 euros a year. Thay then get all main English television channels and can listen to the radio from the BBC as well.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Rose wrote:Tell them to subscribe to www.iportal.me It is 50 euros a year. Thay then get all main English television channels and can listen to the radio from the BBC as well.
A bit difficult as they don't have internet!

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

This is the BBC answer

You can listen to Radio 4 online anywhere in the world, but you will not be able to pick up BBC stations broadcasting on FM, MW, LW and DAB very far from UK shores. They are funded by the UK licence fee and the BBC is not permitted to re-broadcast them from other countries.

However, in some areas close to the UK (such as Ireland, France, Denmark, Belgium and Holland) it is possible to receive Radio 4 on 198 kHz long wave.

Without the internet or satellite then Long wave seems only possibility
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

Long Wave is fine in the North of France but not the South. It is also a pain if you are in the north and the cricket is on. :lol:
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

It normally runs out pretty soon after passing the Loire Valley, although I have listened to it in the Italian alps and pyrenees.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com