Neuf WiFi or SFR WiFi Public Hotspots

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Neuf WiFi or SFR WiFi Public Hotspots

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny »

I have an ask that would assist me greatly… I was wondering if anyone within the Forum community would be prepared to supply me with their username and password in order to access a Neuf WiFi hotspot or a SFR WiFi public hotspot.

I have spent several hours with my neighbours trying to access via their Neuf box but unable to make their box visible and even using their own (what they thought to be) username / password still not been able to access the hotspots.

It would assist me as we have an arrival (1st Grandchild) due any day back in the UK and will be requiring Internet access to book a quick return flight for Grandmother to go for a cuddle!!!

I am more than happy to supply my BT Openzone username and password in exchange if useful to you for your visits to UK or even possibly a decent bottle of something in return!!!

We have looked at possibilities of purchasing a 3G cle but the cost of purchase and conditions of top up use make it expensive and prohibitive for the periods we visit the area.

If we do have to go the 3G route any suggestions as to what is the best buy and the pitfalls to watch out for would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation from “on tenterhooks Grandparents”
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Sent you a PM
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Sent you a PM
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

To access your neighbours Neufbox you will need the WPA-PSK code (a long string of lower case letters) from the label on their box.

If the box is not visible to you you will have to access the admin pages for the box by typing http://192.168.1.1 in the browser on your neighbour's computer and ensure that "Diffusion du SSID" is activated.

Russell.
ftgg99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ftgg99 »

Im sorry to highjack your thread, but im in a similar situation, excepting that the best signal i get is Free Wifi. SFR and Neuf work on the roof though, and that would be enough!

Im willing even to send some paypal cash or access to some paid websites in return. (i have megavideo premium and the like)...
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

wifi connection

Post by monsans »

Riversaltes Johnny sorry my connection details did not work. I can only assume it is a distance connection problem as it is working perfectly for my renters. Only saw this now so perhaps congrats. is now due. The best.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Have you heard of Fon, it is an internet sharing scheme that provides free wifi all over the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7027871.stm

http://james.cridland.net/blog/why-fon-is-a-good-thing/

I have no personal experience of it but it seems an interesting idea.

We are only a few km from Rivesaltes so if you need quick internet access then you are welcome here
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

A further and comprehensive link for Fon

http://wiki.fon.com/wiki/Main_Page

It seems they have already done deals with Neuf & Orange in France and BT in the UK
ftgg99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ftgg99 »

its a big lie as far as i can tell - you now have to own a router to get access to the network

they dont sell sessions online

also, in my area (antibes) there isn a single neuf fon spot - only neuf sfr

also, sfr do sell sessions, but they are only available on SFR WIFI and SFR WIFI CITE - not SFR WIFI PUBLIC

I only discovered that after buying 2 days worth - what a rip off the french suffer!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

ftgg99 wrote:its a big lie as far as i can tell - you now have to own a router to get access to the network

they dont sell sessions online

also, in my area (antibes) there isn a single neuf fon spot - only neuf sfr

also, sfr do sell sessions, but they are only available on SFR WIFI and SFR WIFI CITE - not SFR WIFI PUBLIC

I only discovered that after buying 2 days worth - what a rip off the french suffer!
The original post was from someone with BT Openzone who can at no cost get access to Fon hotspots without buying anything, I'm not sure how that can be a rip-off.

BT users don't have to buy a router, similarly users of SFR Neuf with a neuf box 4 don't need to buy anything ; users of other networks may have to depending on the equipment they currently have but €29 doesn't seem nuch to get free WIFI.

Looking at the FON map, there are dozens FON hotspots in Antibes
http://maps.fon.com/ and they most certainly do sell online sessions

As I said in an earlier post, I have not actually used this system, I am hoping someone with a BT Internet account will try it and report back, if not I will blow the €29 and see if it really works
ftgg99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ftgg99 »

The original poster had no knowledge of fon, simply offering a tit for tat exchange - bt for neuf/ sfr.

And i was certainly ripped off by sfr, as are many others. I am here at my parents house on the other side of the hill and they have 5 bars of Orange Wifi - easy, pay as you go access - pay by credit card or mobile phone.

SFRs pay as you go site takes you to a map of antibes and shows everything is covered by their wifi network. You proceed to pay (while connected to sfr wifi public, which allows access to sfr domains) and get a code in your email. You go back to the login page and whatdoyaknow? it doesnt work...

But there is still no Neuf fon network here. Practically the center of Juan les Pins. I would guess many people simply turn of the hotspot feature... because they want full speed internet? Yep, that might be it.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

... ah, but you have Riviera Radio, La Gaffe and Geoffrey's!!!
... and "le Brulot" if you feel peckish or "Oscar's" for art on the table!

(I lived and worked in Antibes/Sophia Antipolis for 9 years 1994-2003 at Amadeus..)
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

ftgg99 wrote:The original poster had no knowledge of fon, simply offering a tit for tat exchange - bt for neuf/ sfr .
Absolutely true, but then I never said he did. He is looking for a tit for tat exchange, but that is exactly what Fon claims to be just on a much bigger scale which is why I suggested it.

ftgg99 wrote: But there is still no Neuf fon network here. Practically the center of Juan les Pins. I would guess many people simply turn of the hotspot feature... because they want full speed internet? Yep, that might be it.
I'm not advocating Fon or defending them, they claim to have large numbers of hotspots in Juan les Pins and I have no way and indeed no interest in proving whether or not that is the case. Since in most cases users cannot use the internet themselves if they turn their router off then I doubt that your supposition is true

So far I have read lots of good things about Fon but the proof is how good it is in practice, it would be great if the original poster, another BT user or someone with a Neuf box 4 were to try it and report back. They can't get ripped off since they don't actually have to pay anything.