New computer advice

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Kate wrote:it's working fine now but.... on a whim I've changed from Explorer to Mozilla Firefox and now have loads more problems tho it is much faster.
1 I've downloaded the French version and actually want the English one. Please don't say 'Duh' and point to your head. Do I have to uninstall and start again?
2 How do I move over my favourites and similar stuff?
3. HELP!!
Hi Kate :)

Firefox is better ;)
I'm sure unistalling is fine & then just download the english version
http://www.firefoxdownload.com/

Once you have done this go to File
Go to the import button & all should be well

Cheers Sav :)
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

[quote="Kate"]Oooooh I love geeks - it means that you'll be able to answer all my questions. Sorry guys (and gal) but most of this has now gone way over my rather fluffy simple little head. I actually hoovered the inside and it's working fine now

Glad your head is no longer so fluffy!
Think I might hoover mine later.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Works a treat Pol - similar to liposuction. I now look 16 again!! :roll:

On a more serious note.... I did the importing - easy like you said - but faves etc havent appeared at the top of my screen and all my options have disappeared and I cant seem to get the toolbar menu back!!
Might have to have a glass of wine!!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Kate wrote:Works a treat Pol - similar to liposuction. I now look 16 again!! :roll:

On a more serious note.... I did the importing - easy like you said - but faves etc havent appeared at the top of my screen and all my options have disappeared and I cant seem to get the toolbar menu back!!
Might have to have a glass of wine!!
This actually helps. A second glass helps even better.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

blackduff wrote: This actually helps. A second glass helps even better.

Blackduff
If you do Kate, don't forget to put your operating syatem to Sleep which will power it down and keep it cool. :)
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Oh bums! Now how do I do that??? It's funny how you don't realise how much you don't know until you start asking questions!! :oops:
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

So where have all my buttons gone then????
File, edit, tools.... all gone - but not forgotten.
Second glass of wine as recommended Michael - you're a very naughty man!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Kate wrote:So where have all my buttons gone then????
File, edit, tools.... all gone - but not forgotten.
Second glass of wine as recommended Michael - you're a very naughty man!
The second glass will always help pressing all of your buttons. The third glass will certainly put you into the sleep mode.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Although I should be encouraging you to drink more wine, I'm afraid I had the same kind of problems with my PC last year. I cleaned it with the hoover and it improved for a bit but eventually the hard drive just died and I had to take it to Cyberia to get it fixed. The account settings were corrupted and I ended up buying a new PC.

So my advice is back up all your files and settings on an external drive and take the PC to an expert like Mark.

And start looking at which computer you would like to buy next :)
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I should be encouraging you to drink more wine
Have only read the first part Jon as I can't find my glasses!! :lol: :lol:

Nobody has answered the important questions yet
So where have all my buttons gone then????
File, edit, tools.... .
Surely they must be somewhere!!
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Santiago wrote:Although I should be encouraging you to drink more wine, I'm afraid I had the same kind of problems with my PC last year. I cleaned it with the hoover and it improved for a bit but eventually the hard drive just died and I had to take it to Cyberia to get it fixed. The account settings were corrupted and I ended up buying a new PC.

So my advice is back up all your files and settings on an external drive and take the PC to an expert like Mark.

And start looking at which computer you would like to buy next :)

Well, I too have had a glass or maybe even two but ....
I thought you wrote that you took your computer to Siberia.
Is that because it was overheating?
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

da da tovarich!!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

So anyway.....

Where have all my buttons gone then????
File, edit, tools.... .

Nobody can say I'm not tenacious.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Roger O wrote:da da tovarich!!!
don't be rude, Roger.
i'm a lady
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

hi Kate,

In Firefox, try pressing the Alt key to show the Menu bar, then open View > Toolbars and tick it
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Helen wrote:hi Kate,

In Firefox, try pressing the Alt key to show the Menu bar, then open View > Toolbars and tick it
Make sure there is a tick against Menu bar.

Russell.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Merci both. Got it back!!
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

Kate wrote:Oh bums! Now how do I do that??? It's funny how you don't realise how much you don't know until you start asking questions!! :oops:
To put a Vista operating system into Sleep mode you simply go to Start as you would to shut down and above Shutdown in the Shutdown menu list you will see "Sleep". Click on this and the computer will power down while you are getting a glass of wine or answering a long telephone call. When you come back after your first (or second) glass of wine hit any key and your computer will spring into life instantly, even if you don't.

Perhaps others can advise on how to power down if you do not have Vista or later.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

You mean it doesn't go into sleep mode automatically? How quaint. Macs do. :wink:
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Colin L wrote:You mean it doesn't go into sleep mode automatically? How quaint. Macs do. :wink:

:lol: :lol:
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

quote="Colin L"]You mean it doesn't go into sleep mode automatically? How quaint. Macs do. :wink:[/quote]

Of course it does - its in Power Settings

It's 28 years since I sold my first PC and 24 years since I sold my first Mac, its great to see that the rivalry between owners is still as fervent as ever and practically unchanged in the arguments presented.

The reality of course is it really doesn't matter, its a bit like saying should you buy the world's best selling car or simply the second best. If however you have a substantial investment in software for one operating system then changing to another can be very expensive ( assuming you want legally licensed software ).

One piece of advice in earlier posts that I would take issue with is the advice to go to a PC assembler, 10 years ago you would have saved money but nowadays it is absolutely impossible to build a modern PC from components and add a legally licensed operating system at a lower price than a volume retail brand.

A main reason for this is that the license for the operating system is very expensive if you commit to less than 10,000 at one go. Most assemblers get around this by supplying software from what they believe to be 'grey' sources. in reality practically all of it is counterfeit. Often assemblers don't even make a pretence at supplying an operating system.

Just to put this in perspective, the price a legitimate assembler will pay for Windows 7 license represents more than 50% of the cost of a low cost laptop with Windows 7 already installed. Using an operating system from an earlier computer is in general not allowed

Similarly if you want a new copy of Microsoft Office, it is substantially cheaper if purchased with a new PC and massively cheaper if bought on one of the volume brands.

My advice would be buy an established brand with a decent warranty, HP and Dell are the runaway leaders in the PC environment and if you want a UK keyboard and software buy it from the UK
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

Colin L wrote:You mean it doesn't go into sleep mode automatically? How quaint. Macs do. :wink:
There speaks the master !! :lol: :lol:
I like Macs Colin .. Anyone for a whipround ..?? :)

I'd stick to a windows based pc Kate ,it's what you're used to.

Either that or do a more in depth cleaning around that office !! LOL! :lol: :lol:
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

That's a relief then, Allan. I was getting really concerned for all these bleary-eyed, sleep-deprived PCs. But does that mean you have to activate the automatic sleep mode in the first place rather than its being the default?

As to rivalry, I have much to say in praise of Macs because I know about them, and nothing to say for or against PCs because I don't know much about them. That, as I said, is down to the historical chance of working in schools where the Mac was the platform in the classroom and growing up with the Mac.

I had to use a PC during a two year secondment and didn't much like it, but that was entirely down to unfamiliarity on my part. I hate using Microsoft Word and Excel but that is not a PC/Mac argument: it is equally annoying on a Mac as on a PC to have the programme second guessing what you are about to do .... and getting it wrong.

But enough of all of this. It is time to put myself in to sleep mode and leave the computer to nod off in its own reliable way.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Colin L wrote:That's a relief then, Allan. I was getting really concerned for all these bleary-eyed, sleep-deprived PCs. But does that mean you have to activate the automatic sleep mode in the first place rather than its being the default?
Apologies to Allan for answering :oops:
You can set a specific time in power options ;)

Cheers Sav :)
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Allan wrote: One piece of advice in earlier posts that I would take issue with is the advice to go to a PC assembler, 10 years ago you would have saved money but nowadays it is absolutely impossible to build a modern PC from components and add a legally licensed operating system at a lower price than a volume retail brand.
Probably not intended, but the implication is that free operating systems and software are not legal. This is not true.

There are a number of free operating systems such as Solaris and Linux which are published under the GNU public license. This license allows you to use the software and even modify it and redistribute it under certain conditions. All fully legal.

Most software for Linux is also published under the GNU public license and is free and legal.

So, a box from an assembler + Linux + all the software you could want is IMHO the best solution for price/performance ratio.

(does no one else here use Linux?)

Regards,
Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Absolutely right Russell, there are a number of free operating systems of which Linux is probably the most popular.

The topic started with a discussion of Windows v Mac so that was what I focussed on. There are a large number of Linux enthusiasts in the world but they are generally that, enthusiasts. For main stream consumer use, the choice is still really between Windows and the Mac, thats not to decry Linux, it just isn't really focussed at non-technical users.

Linux still only has around 1% of the market compared to Windows 91% so you and other Linux enthusiasts are still very much in the minority
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Allan wrote:HP and Dell are the runaway leaders in the PC environment and if you want a UK keyboard and software buy it from the UK
If you phone you can have keyboard, documentation and software in English from Dell France.

The European machines are built in Ireland within 48 hrs of order.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

mpprh wrote:
Allan wrote:HP and Dell are the runaway leaders in the PC environment and if you want a UK keyboard and software buy it from the UK
If you phone you can have keyboard, documentation and software in English from Dell France.

The European machines are built in Ireland within 48 hrs of order.

Peter
I bought two new Dells this year. The Vostros laptop (all in English software and keyboard, etc.) and it was built in Egypt, New Jersey, USA. The other computer bought was an Optiplex 780 desktop. All were in English software and keyboard, etc.) and this was built in Poland.

Both machines are running with Windows 7 and everything is perfect, so far. There is no special price for buying Dells with English needs. Both Dells were phoned direct with the Dell people in France.

It really doesn't matter where it's built, it's still a Dell.

Blackduff
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

russell wrote:
Allan wrote: One piece of advice in earlier posts that I would take issue with is the advice to go to a PC assembler, 10 years ago you would have saved money but nowadays it is absolutely impossible to build a modern PC from components and add a legally licensed operating system at a lower price than a volume retail brand.
Probably not intended, but the implication is that free operating systems and software are not legal. This is not true.

There are a number of free operating systems such as Solaris and Linux which are published under the GNU public license. This license allows you to use the software and even modify it and redistribute it under certain conditions. All fully legal.

Most software for Linux is also published under the GNU public license and is free and legal.

So, a box from an assembler + Linux + all the software you could want is IMHO the best solution for price/performance ratio.

(does no one else here use Linux?)

Regards,
Russell.
Hi Russell
I for one have tried Linux Ubuntu and a few of the spin offs OS's based on the linux ubuntu platform,its a nice OS and as you mention most of the programs and apps are free! :)
Some of their audio software is impressive too!
I also have solaris installed on my server for PO Live and two other websites..(a lot cheaper than windows and works well !)
Love the multiple desktop cube too :wink:
Cheers