Is anyone else gettting this on their sky?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Serge

Post by Serge »

I have a Humax Freesat HDR box here in the UK and it is superb ...............

STG
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

montgolfiere wrote:
So I am afraid that you are INCORRECT in stating that a generic receiver can receive the FTV Channels. These are Sky3, FIVER & (+1) Five USA &(+1), Viva and the following ITV1 Regions: ITV Anglia West, ITV Central South West, ITV Meridian North, ITV Meridian South East,
ITV Tyne Tees South or ITV Yorkshire East.

n
Don't want any of these,but I'm sure I can get all these ITV regions on my digital receiver. But thanks for explaining the (minimal) difference between FTV and FTA.

Of course I chose one of the more costly (not basic)receivers for exactly the reason you state. You get what you pay for as far as hardware is concerned. Not so for software,which is why I STILL maintain I am not "incorrect". I just cannot see the point of paying for a service/contract that I'd never use. sorry.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Correct John:

We have 2 TVs with digi box and can get all the channels mentioned, Mr O also set up a system for a neighbour using a digi box from Leroy Merlin .................unfortunatly this one does not receive chanels at the moment.........the wind blew the dish out of line :oops:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

john wrote:
montgolfiere wrote:
So I am afraid that you are INCORRECT in stating that a generic receiver can receive the FTV Channels. These are Sky3, FIVER & (+1) Five USA &(+1), Viva and the following ITV1 Regions: ITV Anglia West, ITV Central South West, ITV Meridian North, ITV Meridian South East,

n
Don't want any of these,but I'm sure I can get all these ITV regions on my digital receiver. But thanks for explaining the (minimal) difference between FTV and FTA.

Of course I chose one of the more costly (not basic)receivers for exactly the reason you state. You get what you pay for as far as hardware is concerned. Not so for software,which is why I STILL maintain I am not "incorrect". I just cannot see the point of paying for a service/contract that I'd never use. sorry.
I am afraid you are (still) incorrect in thinking that you can get the above channels and ITV Regions on a non Sky Digibox without a FTV card.. and what you want to watch and what other people prefer makes me happy to point out the actual differences between the various methods of receiving UK TV here in france.... FTA ,FTV, freesat and subscription....you might think it useless, but other folks might just be interested in the ACTUAL benefits that one system has over another.

There is no contract for a FTV card.... just a one off payment of £20 for the FTV card. which incidently lasted active for 6 years in its yellow house form

If you look at my website you will find all the frequencies for the ITV Regions and you can try them out for yourself.

The Skyman
Serge

Post by Serge »

So just to clarify ................

What's the difference between 'free to air' and 'free to view'?

Are they both satelite based or does one use an aerial?

Do they both receive the same channels?

STG
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

montgolfiere wrote:[FTA ,FTV, freesat and subscription....you might think it useless, but other folks might just be interested in the ACTUAL benefits that one system has over another.

The Skyman
The only problem being ,MG/SM,that you haven't as yet supplied any real benefits (ACTUAL or otherwise) that your costly service offers.

As opas says we seem to be able to get all the stuff you mention via our leroy Merlin/Expert boxes.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Just watching ITVplus 1 at the moment, no sky card: turned over from X Factor as I think that the contestants should XXXX off for tonight; Rubish. good job I do not pay for a licence!
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

it's about as entertaining as reading CB's stuff on here

Maybe that's because it's far too intelligent for you to understand, and it's not even written in joined up writing!
Serge

Post by Serge »

collioure_bee wrote: and it's not even written in joined up writing!
Wouldn't expect anything else CB ...............

... thought you might be past capitals by now though ......................... :lol:

.. anyway, could we have this back on topic please! :roll:

STG
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Serge wrote:So just to clarify ................

What's the difference between 'free to air' and 'free to view'?

Are they both satelite based or does one use an aerial?

Do they both receive the same channels?

STG
No.

FTA = FTA Channels

FTV = the FTA Channels + Sky3, FIVER & (+1) Five USA &(+1), Viva and the following ITV1 Regions: ITV Anglia West, ITV Central South West, ITV Meridian North, ITV Meridian South East,

and if using a Sky digibox the FTV card 'regionalises' the channels and places Channel 4 at 105 and Channel4+1 at 135.
The Skyman
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

john wrote:
montgolfiere wrote:[FTA ,FTV, freesat and subscription....you might think it useless, but other folks might just be interested in the ACTUAL benefits that one system has over another.

The Skyman
The only problem being ,MG/SM,that you haven't as yet supplied any real benefits (ACTUAL or otherwise) that your costly service offers.

As opas says we seem to be able to get all the stuff you mention via our leroy Merlin/Expert boxes.
THE REAL BENEFITS ARE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING FTV CHANNELS AND OTHER SERVICES:

Sky3, FIVER & (+1) Five USA &(+1), Viva and the following ITV1 Regions: ITV Anglia West, ITV Central South West, ITV Meridian North, ITV Meridian South East,

and again as stated above:

access to the ( increasing) 'Interactive' Broadcasts and the Digital Teletxt service

& a 7 day EPG.

These channels may be of no interest to you and therefore you are perfectly at liberty to install whatever system you deem suitable.

However i think it important that the correct information is available so everyone can make an informed decision as to the type of system they install.

I do not really sell 'receivers' per se, I offer the complete service of a system FULLY INSTALLED for the many Folk who do not have the desire / skill to install their own system & in fact i am quite happy to install equipment supplied by the Customer, including the Generic Receivers bought locally.

I do hope that everyone is now fully informed of the various options available.
The Skyman
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

montgolfiere wrote: However i think it important that the correct information is available so everyone can make an informed decision as to the type of system they install.
Quite so,MG. Couldn't agree more. That's why the purpose of my first posting was to point out to people that even people relatively technologically challenged,like me, that you DON'T need all sorts of fancy receivers/cards/contracts to get the UK channels that most of us want. And the subsequent ones were to dispute your erroneous statement that I was "incorrect" in that idea.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

john wrote:
montgolfiere wrote: However i think it important that the correct information is available so everyone can make an informed decision as to the type of system they install.
Quite so,MG. Couldn't agree more. That's why the purpose of my first posting was to point out to people that even people relatively technologically challenged,like me, that you DON'T need all sorts of fancy receivers/cards/contracts to get the UK channels that most of us want. And the subsequent ones were to dispute your erroneous statement that I was "incorrect" in that idea.
I just wanted to point out that you were incorrect in the detail in your first post!!!
The Skyman
Skydigi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skydigi »

Hi
Just to let you know, I am under the impression that all Sky cards – FTV and Sky subscription cards are not going to be turned off till early next year. This is mainly due to the problems Sky have been having their computer systems, postal strikes and lost cards.
Alex
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

My card is giving me instructions to press my backup button or it will cause me grief. I guess I have been given the same problem as the others on this thread.

Has anybody found a good way to get around this problem?

My channel five needs be backuped each five to ten minutes during the evening.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I've lost my C5 completely now, BD!

And I only have BBC London news and ITV Central!!! :? :?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Have you tried manually retuning it Thumbs? They seem to change the channel for the BBC radio stations quite regularly,but a 5 min retuning seems to do the trick. Just wondered if they do it with TV channels as well.

Never had any problem with my allegedly "inferior" system. Getting Ch 5 and BBC East/ ITV Anglia loud and clear. Would not be a happy bunny if that changed as then I'd miss all the highlights and goals from Norwich City games!
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

thumbelina wrote:I've lost my C5 completely now, BD!

And I only have BBC London news and ITV Central!!! :? :?
have you rebooted, if you have a Sky Digibox, you do not need to manually
retune as all the channels are automatically updated.
If you still have problem after rebooting, please advise make/model and age of your decoder. as certain models do show certain symptons as they age.
The Skyman