EU Audio/Visual Rule Changes

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

EU Audio/Visual Rule Changes

Post by Roger O »

Audiovisual Media Services Directive (AVMSD)
http://ec.europa.eu/avpolicy/reg/avms/index_en.htm
The Audiovisual Media Services Directive covers all EU audiovisual media services
(including on-demand services) in the digital age.

It amends and renames the Television without Frontiers Directive,
providing less detailed but more flexible regulation.
And it modernises TV advertising rules to better finance audiovisual content.

The directive must be transposed in national law by the end of 2009.
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Does this mean we will be able to watch iplayer and all those catch up channels on the internet soon?
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

collioure_bee wrote:Does this mean we will be able to watch iplayer and all those catch up channels on the internet soon?
that would be really good!
fingers crossed.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

is possible to watch iplayer and the other catch up services now by signing up to the free iportal service. http://www.iportal.me/Index.aspx
i have been using it for a month or so and have found it very easy to use.
the Skyman
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

As I said before, montgolfiere, my daughter has hardly prised herself away from her pc since she downloaded the iportal after you first brought it to our attention!!

So - a mixed blessing :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

just thought i would bring it to the attention of 'Collioure_Bee' who might have missed the original Post
The Skyman
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

good plan as it looks like Pol may have missed it too! :D
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

thumbelina wrote:good plan as it looks like Pol may have missed it too! :D
Seem to remember I had a try at downloading something but it wouldn't work - probably cos this is a mac and not a pc.
will have another go.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I have been looking into this and i am afraid that this change will not suddenly allow us all to subscribe to Sky (if we so wished) from anywhere in europe and i am pretty sure it will not allow us to access i-player etc. without disguising our ip address either.

Here is a quote from someone who has a good understanding of the issues:

thanks 'Billnot'.

"I think any misunderstanding is just part of a more general misunderstanding which crops up from time to time in Expat forums.

If I, in Spain, wish to buy something from Widgets Ltd in the UK, and they are willing to sell it to me, then under EU law nobody can stop us. That's what the free market means.
However, if Widgets Ltd decide they're not going to ship to Spain then they have an absolute right to decline the sale, and nothing I can do can force them. There is no automatic right to make a supplier in one EU country to sell something to somebody in another.

Therefore, even without the rights issues which take precedence over everything else, the BBC and other FTA channels are under no obligation to make their signals receivable in Spain or any other EU country, nor would Sky be obliged to sell subscriptions. The rights issue will still mean Sky, even if they want to, cannot offer Sky UK subscriptions outside of the UK.

It would be nice, it would kill the grey market at a stroke and be a nice little earner for Sky, but it isn't going to happen."

hope this clears things up a bit
The Skyman