Is data protection killing the web?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Is data protection killing the web?

Post by Allan »

Is anyone else as irritated as I am at every single website that I visit popping up a notice telling be how they value my privacy and need my permission to store a 'cookie' on my computer?

Worse still, they could easily use the said 'cookie' to record my response and not bother to ask me again. Unfortunately so many of them just pop up the same message every time, making surfing the internet a somewhat tiresome experience.

This annoying practice is as a result of the General Data Protection Regulations directive but it seems obsessive and badly implemented.
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is data protection killing the web?

Post by Pighunter »

Absolutely - I'm sure it's just trying to wear us down to turn on cookies if like me you have them turned off.

I also have an aversion to all the stupid 'targeted' adverts for whatever I have been looking at on the net even after I have bought something.

Privacy and better experience my backside, it's all about sales and money.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Pighunter wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2019 15:35 I also have an aversion to all the stupid 'targeted' adverts for whatever I have been looking at on the net even after I have bought something.
I find that the Firefox addon "uBlock" does a very good job of removing spurious adverts.

Russell
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

Thanks Russell,

I have never tried using Firefox, is it better than Google?

Excuse my ignorance, I can get a faulty chainsaw or motorcycle running in minutes but IT is something else!
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I've used Firefox for years and find it suits me well. I had a play with Google Chrome a while ago and it works just fine on my laptop (running Linux Mint) but I couldn't see any advantage in changing.

Russell
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

Is data protection killing the web? Maybe. But isn't it people who are doing the damage? Rapacious heads of companies like Facebook creating monsters that they cannot control. Or just people who can't control themselves. There's a current thread on here asking why is the forum so quiet. Recent events may provide some of the answer. Last week some joker flooded the forum with replies to long dormant threads. Until very recently there was a super poster incredibly active with a view on every topic under the sun. Guaranteed to switch people off. I myself had a brush with one of the politically correct brigade who objected to my avatar. Nobody seems to comment any more on the little things of life. Did nobody go to the Sanch or the Mondial du Vent and feel they dared to share the experience?

That's it. I don't suppose anybody will read this anyway!

Merisin