Content Portability Rules 1 April 2018

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Content Portability Rules 1 April 2018

Post by neil mitchell »

Apparently the EU have ruled that as of 1/4/18 citizens of member states must be able to receive paid for online content from providers in their own country in any EU country (without VPN/Smart DNS etc).

This apparently means the likes of Netfllx etc but Free to View Providers such as BBC, ITV etc are "being encouraged" to comply.

I notice that ITV have now discontinued their ITV Essentials saying that it is no longer necessary if you have the ITV Hub. so maybe they are complying.

BBC (which costs substantially more than any other paid for service) have decided not to allow it.

Makes you proud to be British dunnit.

Currently in UK so can't test it.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Well, Sky Go works without a VPN, as does ITV hub.

I’ve just the regulations and they seem pretty sensible so will probably not survive Brexit.

Basically they say that if you live in an EU country and have paid to watch content in your main country of residence, then you can now watch that content whilst travelling in any other EU country.

They don’t cater for people buying content outside of their main country of residence so in theory won’t benefit those of us permanently living here.

I suspect however that the complexities of checking will probably mean that nobody will bother.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/legislati ... ne-content
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks Allan.
Seems as though it is actually happening. Surely the BBC would find it the least difficult to verify entitlement, I get that ITV would find it difficult which is probably why they folded early. And I guess you are right, for UK tv it is only good until Brexit.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

neil mitchell wrote:Thanks Allan.
Seems as though it is actually happening. Surely the BBC would find it the least difficult to verify entitlement, I get that ITV would find it difficult which is probably why they folded early. And I guess you are right, for UK tv it is only good until Brexit.
According to ITV’s website, it is only their paid for service that is available.

https://www.itvessentials.com/#dont-miss

But I definitely watched ITV, both on their hub and via Sky Go without a VPN and with a French IP address.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Content Portability Rules 1 April 2018

Post by martyn94 »

neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

It refers to online content so I was comparing it to Netflix etc. Also it refers to content which has been paid for in ones country of residence so isn't really relevant to those who live in France full time.
Given that pretty much everyone who lives here part time but is still a UK resident will have a UK tv license with some kind of unique code on it the issue of validating must be pretty simple.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Content Portability Rules 1 April 2018

Post by Allan »

neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Hi Allan.

Yes I was referring to the license fee but I was only using it as a comparison, The funding arrangements for the BBC are always unique, more like a tax really.

The BBC already make you login and confirm that you have a license before you can use IPlayer. At the moment that is just a self declaration backed up by prosecution if you actually don't have a license but it surely could only take moment at BBC HQ to link license details to login details.

I know that they din't want to do it but I'm sure that they could easily.