Alternative to Filmon, TVmucho?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Alternative to Filmon, TVmucho?

Post by russell »

TVmucho is a new service similar to Filmon but at present only streaming UK channels plus one Dutch channel. They include 7 day catch-up of all channels in their subscription which is somewhat cheaper than Filmon.

I have signed up for their free trial and installed it on an Android TV box. So far it looks good. Anyone else had experience of it?

Russell
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Alternative to Filmon, TVmucho?

Post by Allan »

russell wrote:TVmucho is a new service similar to Filmon but at present only streaming UK channels plus one Dutch channel. They include 7 day catch-up of all channels in their subscription which is somewhat cheaper than Filmon.

I have signed up for their free trial and installed it on an Android TV box. So far it looks good. Anyone else had experience of it?

Russell
After the shambles that is Filmon, I have subscribed to TV Mucho with mixed results.

Playback of their catchup service often gets video and audio out of sync. It also regularly judders and replays 2 or 3 seconds of a program often many times throughout a program.

These problems may of course be because I am in Thailand with many internet nodes in-between, though last year on the same connection, Filmon worked faultlessly.

I only watched one program live for a short time and that seemed okay but if you are thinking of using it then focus your testing on the catchup service.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Hi Allan,

At least their customer service is a bit better than Filmon. I emailed them regarding a minor problem and received an immediate automatic reply and one from a human 13 minutes later! How that will change as they gain customers remains to be seen.

I had similar loss of sound/video sync with Filmon a while back when there was lots of buffering. The TVmucho Android app gives a choice of two different video engines which might help.

Russell
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I recently saw a demonstration of Plex. I'm not sure of all the technicalities but what it apparently allows is a PC etc. in France to access a device which can get Freesat and/ or has direct unrestricted connection in the UK from which it can connect to the TV networks.

It seemed pretty reliable. Of course it needs a connection in the UK which is permanently live and has a piece of kit to provide the feed from the satellite or antenna.No need for a VPN and, as it is a peer to peer arrangement, almost invisible.

Gus
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Gus Morris wrote:I recently saw a demonstration of Plex. I'm not sure of all the technicalities but what it apparently allows is a PC etc. in France to access a device which can get Freesat and/ or has direct unrestricted connection in the UK from which it can connect to the TV networks.

It seemed pretty reliable. Of course it needs a connection in the UK which is permanently live and has a piece of kit to provide the feed from the satellite or antenna.No need for a VPN and, as it is a peer to peer arrangement, almost invisible.

Gus
I think you are a bit confused Gus, Plex doesn’t do anything like you describe, it is a technology for home cinema and for organising video collections.

I think what you are actually talking about is a Sling-box. Essentially it connects into the video-out stream of a Sky, Freesat or Freeview box and retransmits the programme to a receiving device elsewhere on the internet.

The receiver can be a tablet, a computer or a dedicated box like a Roku. Remote control instructions are sent back over the internet, so you operate the receiver as if you were there.

It is probably the best solution for people with homes in both countries.

http://www.slingbox.com/en-GB

If you are interested in what Plex actually does, you can find details here
https://www.plex.tv/how-it-works/
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I think you are a bit confused Gus, Plex doesn’t do anything like you describe, it is a technology for home cinema and for organising video collections

I sat and watched as my friend logged onto Plex. This then opened up a page with three choices. He selected TV and, after a short wait, a menu appeared listing all terrestrial stations available in the London TV area. He then clicked on one and, lo and behold, we had a live feed. He said he son is a dab hand at this kind of thing and all it had cost him was a few bob to give his son to buy an interface device.

Gus
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Gus Morris wrote:I think you are a bit confused Gus, Plex doesn’t do anything like you describe, it is a technology for home cinema and for organising video collections

I sat and watched as my friend logged onto Plex. This then opened up a page with three choices. He selected TV and, after a short wait, a menu appeared listing all terrestrial stations available in the London TV area. He then clicked on one and, lo and behold, we had a live feed. He said he son is a dab hand at this kind of thing and all it had cost him was a few bob to give his son to buy an interface device.

Gus
My apologies Gus, what you have described is perfectly feasible. It was your description that confused me as it sounded so like a Slingbox.

A Plex media server can be fitted with a TV tuner and can then relay the signal either live or as recordings over the internet. It involves a bit more than a few bob for an interface device. It entails a PC with a TV tuner running Plex media server in the UK and a suitable receiving device in France as well as a Plex subscription. If your friend has a powerful enough PC in the UK might just leave Plex running in the background