Astonishing good mobile phone offer

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Astonishing good mobile phone offer

Post by Allan »

Yesterday I discovered an offer on http://www.vente-privee.com/ for a subscription to Free Mobile for just 0.99€ a month for a year, after that it reverts to 19.99€ - or you can cancel it.

So for less than 1€ a month you get unlimited calls, including to the UK. 100GB of 4G data and unlimited texts.

This offer expires at 6h00 Friday June 30

I have bought one just for the data, 100GB currently costs me 150€ a month, so Ill save almost 1,800€ over the year.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Not for me I'm afraid: I'm already a customer. It's a bit like interest-free balances on credit-card switches: if we all switched (again and again) at the optimal time, we'd all be rich, and they'd all go bust. But we don't and neither do they.

But above all I thank my stars that I longer get anywhere close to 100GB a month. Too much information, bigly.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:Not for me I'm afraid: I'm already a customer. It's a bit like interest-free balances on credit-card switches: if we all switched (again and again) at the optimal time, we'd all be rich, and they'd all go bust. But we don't and neither do they.

But above all I thank my stars that I longer get anywhere close to 100GB a month. Too much information, bigly.
You are right, it is not for you, existing customers can't cancel and then take the offer.

There are however regular posts on here from people seeking mobile phone providers or mobile internet.

I can't understand why you would celebrate lack of access to data. You don't have to use it but how is it's absence icause to 'thank your stars'.

With the convergence of media technologies, data gets used for news, entertainment, communication and information- all of which add to the enjoyment of life.

When I talk to my grandkids, I want to see them growing up and share in their pleasures. A video call isn't as good as being there but it is infinitely better than just a phone call but of course, it requires data
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Allan

Have sent you a PM

Gus
kathyw
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kathyw »

This is good. I'm already with Free in the 2€ a month contract. I wonder if I can ask to keep my number and apply as a new customer ?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

kathyw wrote:This is good. I'm already with Free in the 2€ a month contract. I wonder if I can ask to keep my number and apply as a new customer ?
The terms of the offer appear to say that you can subscribe and transfer your number if you have not benefited from a Free promotional offer in the previous year.

You can always try, the sign up process includes keeping a existing number.

They charge for the Sim by the way, something like 10€50
kathyw
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kathyw »

I tried to transfer my existing number but it wouldn't work as they recognized the RIO number was from Free mobile. So I just went ahead a got a new number. Not many people have mine anyway ! So I am saving 1,01 per month now !! Thanks Allan for the tip
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote:Not for me I'm afraid: I'm already a customer. It's a bit like interest-free balances on credit-card switches: if we all switched (again and again) at the optimal time, we'd all be rich, and they'd all go bust. But we don't and neither do they.

You are right, it is not for you, existing customers can't cancel and then take the offer.

There are however regular posts on here from people seeking mobile phone providers or mobile internet.

I can't understand why you would celebrate lack of access to data. You don't have to use it but how is it's absence icause to 'thank your stars'.

With the convergence of media technologies, data gets used for news, entertainment, communication and information- all of which add to the enjoyment of life.

When I talk to my grandkids, I want to see them growing up and share in their pleasures. A video call isn't as good as being there but it is infinitely better than just a phone call but of course, it requires data
I'm sorry that I was a bit ambiguous. I don't celebrate lack of access to data: why would you? But I do welcome not actually using huge amounts: but then my "use case" is probably atypical. You see extra traffic as enjoyable interactions with your grandkids: I experience it mostly as junk mail, and too much time on forums like this.

There was an interesting story the other day, somewhere, on the theme "why is your mobile phone full to bursting?" The answer, mostly, is that the apps you installed 5 years ago are now 20 times bigger than they were when you first installed them. A cue for a few hours of housekeeping.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:
I'm sorry that I was a bit ambiguous. I don't celebrate lack of access to data: why would you? But I do welcome not actually using huge amounts: but then my "use case" is probably atypical. You see extra traffic as enjoyable interactions with your grandkids: I experience it mostly as junk mail, and too much time on forums like this.

There was an interesting story the other day, somewhere, on the theme "why is your mobile phone full to bursting?" The answer, mostly, is that the apps you installed 5 years ago are now 20 times bigger than they were when you first installed them. A cue for a few hours of housekeeping.
They say that fish grow in proportion to the size of the tank they are in and plants grow to the size of the pot.

It's the same with apps, programs and operating systems, they grow to make use of the resources available.

As more bandwidth becomes available then more apps will use more of it.

Housekeeping is another matter, I never delete anything, I have all my emails from the last 20 years. I take the view that storage is so cheap that housekeeping is largely a waste of time.